V+ and connecting 2nd TV

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Cocacola, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Cocacola

Cocacola

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have had V+ box for 6 months now and quite happy with it. I am thinking of buying a 2nd HD TV for the bedroom.
    Is it possible to view the channels from the V+ box on the TV in the bedroom? I know it won't be in HD or upscaled.
    If so idiots guide please:rolleyes:

2. Ben

Ben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Assuming you connect your main TV using HDMI, then all you need is an HDMI splitter & another HDMI lead. You can try a cheap passive splitter first. There are more expensive powered/amplified splitters, but for the sake of £9 delivered, it's probably worth trying a passive one before shelling out more.

It will be on both counts :thumbsup:

3. Cocacola

Cocacola

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Cheers:thumbsup: I connect TV to V+box via HDMI. But the 2nd TV will be in the bedroom. Wouldn't I need a hell of a long HDMI lead to run from downstairs to bedroom? Which I presume would be expensive:rolleyes:
    Is it possible to use an RF lead? Which would work out cheaper.

4. Ben

Ben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Yep, the only issue is that the RF output is disabled when HDMI is in use. This means that when you want to watch cable in your bedroom, you'll have to switch to SD in the V+ settings (You'll also need to keep a scart connected between the V+ and your main TV if you want to watch cable on both TVs at the same time). You can then switch back to HDMI when viewing on your main TV. It's a bit of a pain, but a workaround nonetheless.

RF would work out cheaper. It's a cheaper cable & there's no splitters/amplifiers involved either. Longer HDMI leads have come down a lot in price though.

Just to add - depending on the size of the HDTV you're planning to buy - feeding it a composite RF signal, may look quite horrible. If you really don't fancy trying HDMI, then component or RGB scart may be a cheaper alternative (and much better PQ than RF) :)

5. Cocacola

Cocacola

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Think I already have component leads in the back of V+ box going to a DVD player :rolleyes:
    I would probably need 2X5m cables to reach from box to bedroom:eek: Maybe I should just stick with freeview.

6. anjo

anjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    What about the option of an AV sender? No need for wires then :) I have read others using this method although it wouldn't be HD.

7. Cocacola

Cocacola

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    HD TV I am planning to buy is LCD 26inch. So hopefully PQ will not be too bad without HD signal.
    Can you point me in the right direction of AV sender? Ebay or Maplin is local to us.

8. anjo

anjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I've read that digisender work with the V+ box. I just looked at the maplin site and they look well pricey. Lot cheaper in argoshttp://www.argos.co.uk/static/Browse/categoryId/1500006575/C$cip/1500006575/Trail/C%24cip%3D1500006565%3EC%24cip%3D1500006566%3EC%24cip%3D1500006575.htm.

I'll be honest in that I am not very knowledgable in this area so I'd advise searching some of the other posts about them on here. Here's one post discussing your issue and digisender is mentioned but also a possible prob with it http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=544937&highlight=digisender

EDIT. Have a read of this post http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494871&highlight=digisender Sorry it seems not as easy as it used to be. Sorry for misleading you.

9. Ben

Ben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Any AV sender should work with the V+, but will be composite only & the PQ may be worse than RF. The main problem with AV senders is that they're often subject to degradation/interference from many things. Wireless routers, cordless phones, microwaves, walls, floors, objects/people moving between the transmitter & receiver, etc. Best bet is to suck it & see. If you buy a cheap one from somewhere like Argos or B&Q, if it gives crappy results, big store like them will give you your money back with little fuss.

10. Cocacola

Cocacola

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    So which is best?

15m HDMI cable and splitter?

Or AV sender? I have a friendly Asda locally which will probably stock AV sender. Plus give money back if not entirely satisfied:)

I have wireless router at home. So maybe this may interfere with signals :rolleyes:

11. mwallan

mwallan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    I have an av sender and its not worth it cant get a good pic to last at all. the other half said :lesson: that was a waist of money and i for once had to agree with her

12. Ben

Ben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Err, for what for exactly? Maybe you mean you've got analogue audio connected to your DVD surround system for sound? (It's a red & white phono/RCA lead) Or maybe I've missed something-?

Only one lead with 5 connectors at each end. £8.49 delivered too. Plus, HD & upscaled SD on your bedroom HDTV :thumbsup:

EDIT: Personally, I'd still try HDMI though. That way you can watch HD & upscaled SD on both HDTVs simultaneously, without having to change the V+ settings every time you want to view on a different TV (5m HDMI lead £6.49 delivered) :)

13. Cocacola

Cocacola

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Correct I have red & white audio leads going from V+ box to DVD player (with SS).
    But the picture from the DVD player (with SS) is via RGB component leads which connect straight to TV.

14. Nivek TT

Nivek TT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,133
    I used an AV sender in my last place and it worked fine.

It will travel directly through a plasterboard wall no problem but if you've solid walls and you're asking it to travel through many at an angle (the geometry will make the wall appear thicker) then you're gonna struggle.

I used mine with wireless routers, cordless phones, etc. and never suffered an intereference issue.

Like people have said, its probably worth a try. They can be picked up for around 30 quid and much less hassle than running cables everywhere.

Also, worth mentioning that you can get a second V-box installed for a fiver a month if you're an XL customer.

15. Cocacola

Cocacola

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Purchased a Sanyo LCD (CES32WSD7-B) 32" HD TV yesterday. Brilliant picture :thumbsup: Much better than my LG LCD 37" which is connected to V+ box.
    Presently no need to connect any other leads. But if we decide to connect V+ to both TV's I think I will go down the 15m HD lead and HD splitter box.

16. Maz21

Maz21
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have a V+ box and have purchased this splitter & a HDMI to DVi connector (as the 2nd TV doesn't have a HDMI input).

Picture is fine when I just use the long HDMI cable (but no sound, I'm sure I've read somewhere that no sound is produced via DVI?), but when I plug the splitter into the loop, I get a brief picture on 1st TV, then only sound. 2nd TV becomes multi random colours, no sound or picture.

Anyone know what I should do next