1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UXGA - PC2Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by morphman, Nov 30, 2003.

1. morphman

morphman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I understand it, UXGA has a resolution of up to 1900x1200

Does this mean it HAS to run at that resolution, or can run at other resolutions inbetween? ie.1280x1024 for my Home PC.

Im planning how to set up my new plasma when it arrives.

I have 2 PCs, one PC has an IR mouse and keyboard. I want to be able to relay the input from the IR mouse and keyboard in the living room, to the PC upstairs. Obviously I want to connect the PC to the U-XGA input ont he Plasma.

Can anyone reccomend an IR device, which is small and easy to install, that I can relay this info? I expect the Plasma TV will be approx 15ft(max) away from the keyboard when its on my lap on the sofa.

2. YellowCows

YellowCows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What Plasma are you talking about?

AFAIK, there are no commercially available panels with true UXGA resolution.

BTW, UXGA res is 1600X1200 - WUXGA is 1920X1200, presently only available on a couple of widescreen LCD monitors by Sony and the like.

Surely you're referring to WXGA reolution, which is 1366X768 - the native resolution for most 50" HD panels.

As for different resolutions - fixed displays such as PDP's and LCD's are capable of displaying resolutions other than their native (or state) resolution, but some interpolation is involved when fed anything other than native res. So, your panel should be able to handle a different resolution, it just might not fill the screen (e.g. in Pass-thru mode), or might not be as sharp could be. Ideally, you should always feed the display with its native resolution - that way, each pixel is driven independently, for the sharpest and most dynamic image possible.

Just one thing, m8, maybe you should elaborate more when you post - you didn't mention which brand/model of plasma you're referring to, which type of PC connection (U-XGA = VGA / D-Sub??), how capable your graphics card is, and that bit with the 2 PC's isn't clear either. You don't want people to read between the lines too much, because then they won't be able to give you the answer you're looking for.

HTH

Moory:)

3. morphman

morphman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, dont laugh though...

Its the Sky Plasma 42" television.

It sounds like you are saying that although the U-XGA input is present, it really will only be best running at 840X480 which is the screens native resolution.

Does that mean it will interpolate my 1280x1024 PC resolution?

I only want to hook up 1 PC, which is the Hi-Grade Xperian with IR keyboard and mouse. This is what I want to relay the IR from the TV back to the PC source.

4. YellowCows

YellowCows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok,

Dunno much about the Sky Plasma, but it should be able to deal with a higher resolution thru the VGA input, just don't expect it to be as sharp as a PC monitor - it has to down-scale the resolution to the display's own.

If your graphics card can't output 840X480 res (which is WVGA), and you've tried experimenting with the display properties, why not use Powerstrip? In case you haven't heard of it, it's a useful utility from a Co. called Entech Taiwan which allows you to specify custom display resolutions not supported as standard by your card.

As for the keyboard and mouse - if they are true IR devices, I imagine any remote extender device, such as those sold by lektropacks and Keene's should work just fine.

Moory