Uvem HTPC

alexs2

Distinguished Member
Skunkpipe....I was simply replying to a couple of comments made by MrD,as you'll see above,and not to anything that you'd said.

I personally have no problems with anyone questioning the price of an item,or the service provided by a manufacturer,and at no time did I imply that people had been saying they were "bad".

What I would say was that the price tag which seems to be floating around bears no resemblance at all to the price I paid for mine,and I do agree that if someone is happy to pay an agreed price for something,it is their decision,and getting upset when questioned about it seems unneccessary.

D

Deleted member 39241

I would be interested to see a full list of components used in their current retail models, and a price that they are selling it for - just so we can see what the charge for 'service' is.

Last edited by a moderator:

alexs2

Distinguished Member
deleted member said:
I would be interested to see a full list of components used in their current retail models, and a price that they are selling it for - just so we can see what the charge for 'service' is.

lisa

Given the discrepancies between the prices that some of us have paid,Vs those being quoted around,maybe the best thing is to actually ask UVEM for a price for a given spec,and work from there.

My own impression when I bought was that the labour/service/installation etc came to less than £200,after I'd totted up the bits,although that was nearly 2yrs ago now.

bamber

Standard Member
bad robot said:
Hope this interesting thread doesnt get out of hand...

See what you guys think.

internals:
AMD 64 X2 3800 / 2GB Corsair 3500 PRO / Asus Premium A8N (silent pipe)
Theraright XP120 (massive 120mm heatsink) / Stealth 120mm fan (quietest i could find) Nvidia 6600 256mb Silent/fanless cooling / ibm 500Gb 16mb cache sata II / 450w PSU (cant mind make but only 22db) Pioneer DVDr /

externals:
Silverstone LC14s-M (stylish case includes remote and VFD)
MS MCE keyboard & MCE Remote

bad robot

I recently built a similar system:

AMD 64 X2 4400 (overclocked to 2.519Ghz 229FSB)/2GB Corsair 3500LL (2-3-2-5 1T)/Asus Premium A8N/XP120/Akasa Amber 120mm/ATI GTO2 with Zalman V7cu/Seagate 500GB sata II/Seasonic 600W PSU/Silverstone LC14-M

I disconnected the 92mm front intake fan and one 60mm rear extract fan as they are very loud. The reason I mentioned the overclock above is even when playing BF2 on max settings the temps are all fine.

I ran 2 x copies of SuperPi, one on each core to heat things up and the max temps reported were 28c Motherboard 44c CPU and 57c GPU(after 2 hours BF2). The idle temps are 25c MB/32c CPU and 43c GPU.

System should be silent once I replace the other 60mm rear fan.

Overall I'm very pleased with the results.

S

Skunkpipe

deleted member said:

lisa

That's not so much an issue, it's fine to pay for service on top of that, but what services are included in the extra...

alexs2

Distinguished Member
Skunkpipe said:
That's not so much an issue, it's fine to pay for service on top of that, but what services are included in the extra...

Skunkpipe....as a retailer,you may well be asked the same questions relating to your own products.

In my case,and in a number of others reported here in this thread,you will note that the service included home delivery,installation and setup by the manufacturer himself,plus any support required by phone or email thereafter(aside from the manufacturer's guarantee).

I'd suggest that it's perhaps not best for one retailer to start down that particular path,and to leave it to any customers who may wish to compare.

bad robot

gazza982 said:
bad robot

I recently built a similar system:

AMD 64 X2 4400 (overclocked to 2.519Ghz 229FSB)/2GB Corsair 3500LL (2-3-2-5 1T)/Asus Premium A8N/XP120/Akasa Amber 120mm/ATI GTO2 with Zalman V7cu/Seagate 500GB sata II/Seasonic 600W PSU/Silverstone LC14-M

I disconnected the 92mm front intake fan and one 60mm rear extract fan as they are very loud. The reason I mentioned the overclock above is even when playing BF2 on max settings the temps are all fine.

I ran 2 x copies of SuperPi, one on each core to heat things up and the max temps reported were 28c Motherboard 44c CPU and 57c GPU(after 2 hours BF2). The idle temps are 25c MB/32c CPU and 43c GPU.System should be silent once I replace the other 60mm rear fan.

Overall I'm very pleased with the results.

Cheers for the reply.
I wont be gaming on this system though unlike yourself. However your bound to be getting great results with your setup. Are you using it alot for HTPC duties and HD playback, sure sounds good mate.

S

Skunkpipe

alexs2 said:
Skunkpipe....as a retailer,you may well be asked the same questions relating to your own products.

In my case,and in a number of others reported here in this thread,you will note that the service included home delivery,installation and setup by the manufacturer himself,plus any support required by phone or email thereafter(aside from the manufacturer's guarantee).

I'd suggest that it's perhaps not best for one retailer to start down that particular path,and to leave it to any customers who may wish to compare.
As a retailer I want to keep an eye on the competition. If they offer something I don't, then I want to know so I can think about offering the same as I see service as the only thing that seperates us small folk from the big box shifters. I think this thread has covered (almost) everthing the uvem service consists of. Home delivery isn't something I'll offer - I have an alternative solution for that....Rebuilds? well I'm intruiged on the reasoning behind that one if I've understood it correctly (i.e. it ain't broke) - I'm certainly not going to critisise it until I know the why's and wherefores

bamber

Standard Member
Bad Robot,

The main purpose will be for playing various media including HD. I'm not really a hard core gamer but it's always good to see how a PC you build performs. I would be interested to hear what you think of your system once completed.

As for the UVEM debate I enjoy the hours spent configuring a system but can understand why others would rather pay UVEM for this service.

alpit

Standard Member
2 years ago I knew diddly squat about HTPCs. All I knew was that I wanted to watch a better picture through my recently purchased Sanyo Z2 projector. I surfed AV Forums and came across the name of UVEM. At that time I had neither the skill, knowledge or inclination to build my own HTPC, so I telephoned Phil at uvem for advice on what a HTPC could do. He invited me and my Z2 to his house (by no means a mansion!!) and I spent an enjoyable afternoon watching and learning what a htpc could do. Anyway, I decided to buy a uvem.
Phil came to my house one evening to set it up, and I haven't looked back since. I now tweak, upgrade and try different setups without fear of ever 'breaking' my htpc, and haven't spoken to Phil since the day of the install. For me, having a htpc pre configured with tt, dscaler, xlobby etc. was a godsend as I'd probably have given up on htpc had I (with no knowledge) had to do it all myself.
So anyway, what I am trying to say is that the £2200 I spent 2 years ago was probably one of the best decisions I have ever made. It has been a extremely reliable bit of kit, it has been in use for close to 4000hrs (I always have it on while my projector is on, so know the hours) and is still as quiet as the day I bought it.
So all I can say is that if you don't know a lot about htpcs and what they can do, but would like to, I would definitely recommend a uvem.

JohnnyScot

Novice Member
Many thanks to all who have given the various sides of this debate. I saw a Uvem for the first time last week, liked what I saw, thought it was pricey and knew I would get all the answers here re VFM, reliability, service etc.

Graham's post was of particular interest. I have fancied getting into the HTPC market for some time. My life is very busy and whilst I really enjoy 'tinkering' 'playing' 'learning' I feel my (short) patience levels might get the better of me if I build my own. I like the idea of starting on the right foot with a top on the line system and learning from a working state.

Thankfully for me money is not really an issue, lucky (actually hard earned!) situation to be in so on balance I think the Uvem way is the way to go for me.

Thanks again for a balanced argument and a call to uvem in the new year is in the offing.

Steve Stifler

Resurrecting an old thread!

I have a UVEM from back in the day which hasn’t been used for many years. Being out of touch with the world of HTPCs, I wonder if there would be any interest in the case?

Its a nicely constructed , quality metal case to help with cooling, with a front power switch and DVD drive tray cover (DVD unit still there). It’s a desktop profile and is similar width to most av gear.

It’s got a few small marks On the top panel. Any idea if this has any value and what that might be?

Here are some pics.

Attachments

• 199E5131-4696-44D0-839F-B3CBFB9228DB.jpeg
    199E5131-4696-44D0-839F-B3CBFB9228DB.jpeg
    221.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 317FABCA-6102-494E-ACB0-849FDF90DC54.jpeg
    317FABCA-6102-494E-ACB0-849FDF90DC54.jpeg
    215.4 KB · Views: 10
  • AEEB5DE6-7726-4F2A-8861-601E658AD86E.jpeg
    AEEB5DE6-7726-4F2A-8861-601E658AD86E.jpeg
    201.3 KB · Views: 12

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
Resurrecting an old thread!

I have a UVEM from back in the day which hasn’t been used for many years. Being out of touch with the world of HTPCs, I wonder if there would be any interest in the case?

Its a nicely constructed , quality metal case to help with cooling, with a front power switch and DVD drive tray cover (DVD unit still there). It’s a desktop profile and is similar width to most av gear.

It’s got a few small marks On the top panel. Any idea if this has any value and what that might be?

Here are some pics.
I'd say your better off stripping the inners and updating everything to bring it back to life. That's what I've done with mine. If you are unable to do this, ask someone who may know (if you need some ideas, simply send me a PM). It's not a cheap option to do it right although if you settle on HD, for Blu-rays, its quite a bit cheaper plus nice and quiet. With todays chips you can also make a fanless solution with it and the PSU meaning you just have to use the right graphics card and HDD to ensure everything is whisper quiet. If you are not running the latest windows software, then purchasing all the latest licenses will add to the cost

I've turned mine into a tri-boot system enabling giving me one part for films, another for music and the other section for the likes of disney+ and general usage

The thing this case has its immense quality and you might find it worth more weighing it in than selling it sadly. Depending if it was ever updated, you may find the parts inside the unit are only worth a few quid as is computer parts. As I have said, its the case that's worth the money as heavy as a decent AVR and built like a tank and if someone is looking to purchase one of the best cases made for a media server, then I'd suggest you make @Steve Stifler an offer as there aren't to many about. I know I'm think of upgrading some of my parts for windows 11, but won't be changing the case

Steve Stifler

Thank you Shane for your informative and helpful information. Lots to ponder :)

edward

If you still need a HTPC, I'd go back to Phil at Uvem. I think he's survived the Covid business impact. For the research he does and the avoidance of Faff, he was really good VFM. I bought two off him - both are operational years later.

Steve Stifler

The case is a bit like some of the Chord electronics boxes.

My UVEM still actually works, even though it has Windows XP. It sounds clunky but works. I lost the digital coax adaptor for the sound card. Kept it for its built-in serial port that came in handy for running ARC V1 on an Anthem MRX500 I’ve just sold.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
The case is a bit like some of the Chord electronics boxes.

My UVEM still actually works, even though it has Windows XP. It sounds clunky but works. I lost the digital coax adaptor for the sound card. Kept it for its built-in serial port that came in handy for running ARC V1 on an Anthem MRX500 I’ve just sold.
Update it. Like I said, you can create something quite special indeed. I use a USB dac for the musical side. I also have an audiophile USB card which I use from the PC to the DAC and together it matches a Lyngdorf 34000 on musical performance levels (I only found that our when I tested one at home for work), then when I boot it for films it becomes a dedicated movie system for what UVem were always know for. I suspect the same software on this side is still used all be it updated. The biggest side will be moving forward. You'll need to move to Windows 10 for sure, but as yet, Windows 11 is a little unknown for the latest software systems available. Having said that, I expect all the companies who produce these software solutions will be beavering in the background ensuring everything works when its launched

If you have Phils contact details, do give him a call. I haven't spoken to him for a few years, but when upgrading mine, he certainly helped me out, he's a great guy and the last I heard he was still helping some of my customers (from the previous place of employment). As I said the chassis is top notch and one of the best parts of the unit, everything else inside is just well matched components and using good quality software

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom