Question UV Code viewing restrictions

Movie BEXtra

Established Member
Reaction score
I sold Interstellar UV code today and the purchaser says he can't view film until Monday. He is unhappy. I wasn't aware there were viewing restrictions on UV codes. Can anyone shed some some light on what I should do?

You sometimes can't redeem a UV code until official release day, which for Interstellar is Monday.

I Did not know that some cant be redeemed until offical release day. He's redeemed code so it is now useless to me should I offer partial refund?

Why? He's still getting the film.
If you buy a Blu-ray from Amazon & it arrives on the Tuesday instead of the Monday, do you get a partial refund?

I Did not know that some cant be redeemed until offical release day. He's redeemed code so it is now useless to me should I offer partial refund?
No. I wouldn't. Release day is Monday. He can't walk into a store and buy it until then.

This is true. But I said watch a great film this weekend on my listing. I don't use codes personally and I'm new to selling them.so I was unaware of restrictions on them.

This is true. But I said watch a great film this weekend on my listing. I don't use codes personally and I'm new to selling them.so I was unaware of restrictions on them.
I'd just apologise & explain the situation to him. If he hadn't redeemed it it'd be different, but as he's already redeemed it & it's out of your hands, I'd leave it.
You've not deliberately conned him, & he's not actually any worse off as he has successfully redeemed it, & wouldn't be able to purchase it in shops for weekend viewing either. It's not like you've given him a fake, duff code that warrants a refund. He just has to wait til release date like everyone else.

p.s ebay/paypal doesn't offer buyer protection on digital purchases (for obvious reasons) so you don't have to worry about him putting in a dispute if that's your worry.

Ahh. That's different then. Yes I would negotiate a partial refund then.

Ahh. That's different then. Yes I would negotiate a partial refund then.
Yes but say if you buy something from Amazon for next day Saturday delivery & it arrives 3 days late, you don't get a partial refund on the item because it's late. You get a refund on the delivery only (which in this case would be zero) or if it doesn't turn up.

You could argue, if you hadn't ordered from Amazon you could've bought it from someone else & got it on Saturday so could argue you suffered a 'loss' to your time as you had to wait for your Amazon order, but this doesn't apply either as it doesn't matter if he had bought it from someone else, it would've been the same result.

There's quite a few people selling this code, saying this film is not out til Monday watch it now with this UV code. So I'm not the only one unfamiliar with the restrictions. He bought it now for £6 and he's says he paid a little extra than usual because he wanted to watch the film this week end.

What's the 'normal' going rate on ebay for a UV code from a big new release?

Maybe look in his feedback scores & see how much he 'usually' pays for a UV from a big new release & just refund the difference.

Yes but say if you buy something from Amazon for next day Saturday delivery & it arrives 3 days late, you don't get a partial refund on the item because it's late. You get a refund on the delivery only (which in this case would be zero) or if it doesn't turn up.

You could argue, if you hadn't ordered from Amazon you could've bought it from someone else & got it on Saturday so could argue you suffered a 'loss' to your time as you had to wait for your Amazon order, but this doesn't apply either as it doesn't matter if he had bought it from someone else, it would've been the same result.

But the fact he said watch this weekend is misleading. I didn't know these codes were date specific so if I bought one on the premise that I could watch this weekend I'd be a bit miffed. It's just my thought though. If he never put that then I'd tell the buyer to whistle.

But the fact he said watch this weekend is misleading. I didn't know these codes were date specific so if I bought one on the premise that I could watch this weekend I'd be a bit miffed. It's just my thought though. If he never put that then I'd tell the buyer to whistle.
Isn't that a bit like like paying for a preorder BD/game, & the retailer promises you'll receive it on launch date, then for whatever reason the BD/game is put back for 3 days. I'd be miffed, but that's life & you can't really do anything about it.

If the buyer paid extra (more than he would usually pay) on the understanding he'd have it for the weekend then yes refund him the difference. But if he's paid what he would've had to pay come Monday then I don't think a partial refund is necessary.

Isn't that a bit like like paying for a preorder BD/game, & the retailer promises you'll receive it on launch date, then for whatever reason the BD/game is put back for 3 days. I'd be miffed, but that's life & you can't really do anything about it.

If the buyer paid extra (more than he would usually pay) on the understanding he'd have it for the weekend then yes refund him the difference. But if he's paid what he would've had to pay come Monday then I don't think a partial refund is necessary.

I don't see it as that at all. If I buy a code and am told I can watch it this weekend and I can't then I wouldn't be happy. It's not the same as receiving something in the post. Your at the mercy of the post office or others. He received the code and was told he could watch this weekend. He can't. What we have here is an honest mistake from the seller. But none the less it's sold with incorrect info. When I download an xboxone game prior to release I know I can't play it until 00.01 hours on day of release. That's because it's clear when I order it.

I don't see it as that at all. If I buy a code and am told I can watch it this weekend and I can't then I wouldn't be happy. It's not the same as receiving something in the post. Your at the mercy of the post office or others. He received the code and was told he could watch this weekend. He can't. What we have here is an honest mistake from the seller. But none the less it's sold with incorrect info. When I download an xboxone game prior to release I know I can't play it until 00.01 hours on day of release. That's because it's clear when I order it.
I was thinking more when the studio/publisher delays a title more than the post office.
eg when a steelbook is delayed, but you were promised an earlier date when you made the preorder. Would you expect a discount because you couldn't watch it on the release date that was promised when you ordered?
I'd be miffed, but it happens. I don't expect a discount for the item.
With the post office example, you'd feel miffed mainly because you'd feel you could've gone elsewhere & bought it somewhere else & been watching it this weekend. ie the sellers/post office's mistake caused me to be unable to watch it this weekend & I could've gone elsewhere.

With the Interstellar UV code it's not the same.

Last edited:
I was thinking more when the studio/publisher delays a title more than the post office.
eg when a steelbook is delayed, but you were promised an earlier date when you made the preorder. Would you expect a discount because you couldn't watch it on the release date that was promised when you ordered?
I'd be miffed, but it happens. I don't expect a discount for the item.
I wouldn't expect a discount because I would be notified and likely not have paid (usually payment is taken on dispatch). This is different (in my opinion) he has paid for the code and received the code and was told he could watch it immediately.
I think we probably agree to disagree lol

I wouldn't expect a discount because I would be notified and likely not have paid (usually payment is taken on dispatch). This is different (in my opinion) he has paid for the code and received the code and was told he could watch it immediately.
I think we probably agree to disagree lol
Say if I bought it from Tesco Direct (who charge immediately) & Warner had delayed Interstellar in the UK until after Easter? Should I get a discount as it's a week late? Tesco did promise I'd have it 30th March...

Say if I bought it from Tesco Direct (who charge immediately) & Warner had delayed Interstellar in the UK until after Easter? Should I get a discount as it's a week late? Tesco did promise I'd have it 30th March...

Ok, let's put it another way. If you bought the code and we're told you could watch it this weekend and you couldn't until monday would you be Ok with it ?

He bought it now for £6 and he's says he paid a little extra than usual because he wanted to watch the film this week end.
Here is the problem because he was told he could

Ok, let's put it another way. If you bought the code and we're told you could watch it this weekend and you couldn't until monday would you be Ok with it ?
I'd be miffed, but not much I could do about it. I could go buy the film from someone that says the release date is Monday, but it's not going to make any difference is it?
Here is the problem because he was told he could
That's why I said if the person really has paid over the odds to get it early, then refund him the difference. If it's the normal price, then no refund.

I bought a game from someone on ebay recently & they say that they ship 24hrs after payment. They actually shipped the game after 5 days. Bit miffed, but I'm not gonna ask for a refund as the game was a fair price & good condition, & well packaged & couldn't fault it really. It just took a bit longer to arrive than they said it would.

Last edited:
He hasn't bought anything in the last month. And only 1 UV code which was Back To The Future 1,2,3 for £2.50. I except I've made a mistake but it was a genuine one. I can appreciate where the buyer is coming from. Now the code is activated it is useless to me. So I can't fully refund. But I've offered him something back and my sincere apologies. That was at dinner time today, no reply as of yet.

He probably bought it with full knowledge that he can't view it and has a case against you. It doesn't help you apart from giving you a learning experience.

He probably bought it with full knowledge that he can't view it and has a case against you. It doesn't help you apart from giving you a learning experience.
The buyer wouldn't have had a case if he tried to raise a dispute as ebay/paypal doesn't offer any protection buyers on digital purchases, only physical.

Seems it was just an honest mistake from both parties.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom