Utopia Season 1 (Amazon Prime) TV Show Review & Comments

Utopia should never have been remade. The original series shouldn't have been cancelled.

A one off (Serenity-like) feature length episode, giving us something more conclusive (or satisfyingly ambiguous) would have been fine. I could have made my peace with that.

The original series was both thematically and stylistically innovative, a watershed television moment. The torture scene remains one of the most unsettling things I've encountered in film and television. Rather like the opening shower scene in Carrie, you thought "well, if they can go there, then nobody's safe".

Last edited:
This is going to be a moth-to-a-flame regret because you want more but...

I suggest this to be more appealing to those who've never seen or experienced the original Channel 4 UK centric incarnation. The entire appeal of it was that portrayal and although this version is mirroring the original, it cannot arase what was done previously. Channel 4 made a huge mistake when then dropped Utopis unresolved.

I'm very apprehensive about watching the remake (and this is what it is until at least season 3). especially given the fact that I basically know where the story is going and what the as yet unrevealed details of it are.

So I wonder if they'll give up on this like they did the original.

So I wonder if they'll give up on this like they did the original.

Moew importantly, when?

Will they manage to sustain their efforts up to and beyond where the series got to via the Channel 4 series? They'd need at least another season to even equal where the channel 4 series got to.

Have to admit I’ve never even heard of the original. Which should I watch?

Have to admit I’ve never even heard of the original. Which should I watch?

Undoubtedly the original. Then you can always watch this to see everything they did wrong, which would make a fun drinking game.

What in the name of... Wow! Talk about screwing the pooch. How is it possible for Flynn and Amazon to drain so much of the quirkiness, the threat, the heart-racing escapades, and everything else from the original from this remake. It's the most insipid, blandest pile of... Ach, I'll leave it there. It's terrible. :thumbsdow

Edit - And the music?!? Did they forgot to mix in the score??? I'm embarrassed for them, honestly. I hope the real Arby and Lee turn up to Flynn's gaff with some sand, bleach, peppers and a spoon.

Edit - And the Jessica Hyde character. Hyde? That's exactly what I felt like doing. Where is Jessica Hyde because that isn't the character with the same name from the original series.

Last edited:
Seen both. Yes, the original is amazing and clearly the superior version. So dark and intelligent. Shame it was never renewed. the remake was okay, perhaps a bit simpler (less characters).

meh........ like a supermarket branded beer.....if nothing else is at hand
What really made Utopia so great was how it was filmed and this is washed like your favorite t-shirt from '95

i agree you can see they have made an effort but its all so bland compared to the original just made me want to watch the first series made me wish david fincher was still imvolved

Utopia was one of the best series ever and I was gutted when they cancelled it just when Wilson did what he did. Neil Maskell was genuinely terrifying as the real, dead-eyed, wheezing, Arby. This was watchable but, well, rubbish compared to it. Sorry, I love some US stuff but this is no comparison. Id give pretty much anything for a UK series 3!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom