Utility Warehouse - £20 for PAC number

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Tideman, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Tideman

Tideman
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I purchased a Utility Warehouse PAYG SIM card a couple years ago for my wife's ageing, out-of-contract, yet trusty old Nokia 3330. Anyway, this Chrimbo, Santa finally presented my wife with a new Tesco PAYG phone and I was given the task of asking Utility Warehouse for the PAC number so that she could transfer her old mobile number over to Tesco. I was gobsmacked when Utility Warehouse tried to charge me £20 for the PAC number. I politely declined the offer, although to be honest I was sorely tempted to tell Utility Warehouse to stick my PAC number up the company's rectum - assuming it has one.

But I digress. Utility Warehouse received over £400 from me over the two years or so in which its SIM card was attached to my wife's phone. So basically I was wondering if anyone - other than Utility Warehouse - thinks £20 is a reasonable price to pay for a PAC number from a company I did not (nor ever had) a contract with. Do you reckon the £20 charge is fair, or do you think Utility Warehouse was simply trying to pull a fast one?

2. Ryanmixu

Ryanmixu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    fast one...every company I have dealt with give you it for free.....some even have an automated service :smashin:

3. siany

siany

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I've never heard of any network/company charging for a PAC code and I certainly wouldn't hand over £20. For that amount you could buy yourself a nice and easy to remember number from ebay then request the PAC code from whichever network operator that is. Some may ask you to top up first before giving it to you for fraud prevention reasons but hey at least you could use that top up yourself before porting.

Phone them again and speak to a different cs advisor to see if they'll give you the PAC code free. You could always try emailing them as well.

Good luck with this! :)

4. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I did not think that operators were allowed to charge for the PAC, but to get around this they may well levy an 'administration charge'

Check your T&Cs to see if any such charge is mentioned.

If you were not informed of this charge then you can not be charged it under the contract terms.

In any case £20 is excessive for such a trivial task of generating a code (remember this is just to give you a PAC and nothing else, such as closing down your account) so how can £20 be justified?

I personally would view it as a form of 'penalty' to attempt stop you leaving them or penalise you for doing so. Penalties are not enforceable under any contract and so I would threaten, and then if needed sue them in the small claims court. It will cost you £20 (only if you lose though), but cost them more in time and inconvenience. If you win you're laughing.

But the best bet for now is to speak with a superior and explain your previous custom with them, and ask them to waive the charge.

5. Tideman

Tideman
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the information, guys. I had a hunch that Utility Warehouse was trying to pull a fast a one and I'm relieved to have that confirmed. The old mobile number was nothing special to be honest, so today my wife has decided to forget about it and retain the one supplied with the new phone. As for Utility Warehouse, the company will be getting no more business from me.

Thanks again for your help. :thumbsup: