Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Utilising progressive scan DVD output

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by cannonfodder, Sep 19, 2004.

1. cannonfodder

cannonfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Sorry to go over old ground, but i have trawled through the posts and I feel more confused than ever. I have a samsung plasma TV with DVI, PC RGB, s-video, 2 scarts and composite video (that's the one with one for the video and a L and R audio isn't it?) inputs. To be honest the picture quality is good, but fluctuates to poor on a regular basis, so I am trying to increase the quality. I currently connect using high quality scart cables.

I now have a panasonic DMR-E95H DVD HDD which has a progressive scan output especially for plasma screens which uses the component video out connections - great! But my plasma does not have component video connections. Would a component to scart cable work, or do I need another solution? The DVD also has scart, s-video and composite output.

I have now read about scalars and scart plasma to vga converters, which sound great, but are they right for me?

I just need to know what things I can do, if any, to improve the picture.

Thanks in advance

2. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    you can take it back and buy a panasonic or live with the picture as it is, there is nothing else you can do to improve it apart from waste more money.
    I almost bought a Samsung, but MAW and the others convinced me to spend the extra £300 on the Panny, so my thanks to all of them.

It's the plasma screen that is the problem, scalers, etc cannot alter the properties of the screen.

3. cannonfodder

cannonfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, but unfortunately that does not seem to be an option. I am pleased you are happy, but I still need to know if I can utilise the progressive scan or the scalers.

4. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +384
    Im sure samsung make a dvd player with dvi output which can be had for less than 150.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    The samsung doesn't take progressive scan. Via VGA or DVI most scalers will work OK, RGB to VGA converters will not, as the samsung needs a higher sync frequency than they put out.
    re reading, to actually answer your question, no you cannot use prog scan from this player in any way except via a scaler, just use RGB scart.

6. cannonfodder

cannonfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks MAW. I would love to be able to roll back time and get a panasonic as I love their stuff, but it is too late, alas. The samsung says it has progressive scan, but based on your input this must be an internal thing and overrides any progressive input. This has saved me having to spend out on even more cables.

DVD picture is great, with very little distortion or "max headroom effect" (as my good lady says) on people's faces, so I know it can look good, it's just trying to get the best out of it.

Setup: tv and sky into very old sky box, arial comes out into the DVD then out to the TV, scart comes from sky to dvd for recording, and from sky to plasma and there is one more scart out of the DVD to the plasma.

These things have helped:
    Changing my old panny video for the DVD HDD - big difference in picture quality
    Moving my air ioniser to the other side of the house

TV is better when the signal does not go through the Sky box so my next step is to get a new Sky+ box which should improve the picture again.

Am I on the right track? What would a scaler do, and is it worth getting?

Thanks for listening, I feel I have a lot of disappointment to get off my chest and really need to talk about this with people who can actually answer my questions, rather than dismiss them.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    You'd need to try a scaler to see if it had the desired effect, quite a few dealers will do this, where are you? It's easier to do it with someone where post is not involved. I'm sure you are on the right track, and routing sky through DVD rather than vice versa gives you live pause too...

8. cannonfodder

cannonfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I am based in north wiltshire, close to Bath. Thanks for your help, it is an absolute minefield, and when the picture quality is starting to get you down it's difficult to know where to turn.

I can try out a scaler, which may improve the scart signal from the sky box (does it have a scart input, and a scart output which goes to the plasma?). What sort of things can I do to improve normal TV? Some programmes are better than others, so do I start looking at changing my (also very old) aerial, or are there other things to do?

Sorry, I am starting to sound like a miserable, whining git!

9. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Make sure you are looking at RGB and not Composite out of the Sky box
    on Sky services/settings/picture/video output must be on RGB (not PAL)

then look at Sky on the Plasma, with the SKY box press "TV" button
    If you are looking at RGB from sky
    pressing "TV" button turns off RGB output (leaving composite output)
    pressing "SKY" button turns on RGB output

you should be able to tell the difference by flicking "SKY" then "TV" back and forth

10. cannonfodder

cannonfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I checked that and I am on RGB output, and now I know what it needs to be. I can see the difference between the "TV" and "SKY" settings, though it seems to affect the colours more than the quality

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I don't know of anyone in your area who'd lend an iscan, but that doesn't mean there isn't anybody. They don't actually have a scart input, and the output is VGA or DVI. The input is RGB and composite sync, which is just a special lead for sky, those are the signals on the RGB scart.

12. cannonfodder

cannonfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ? Is the VGA output the same as if I were connecting a PC to the plasma? I recognise the DVI output fortunately. Is the RGB and composite connection like a monitor plug on a PC, because I have seen one of those on the box. Do you have any advice on improving the normal TV picture.

It is really frustrating because I can pick up anything to do with a computer in minutes (as it is my job) but just when I think I am getting somewhere with AV I stumble across something else which makes me feel like a buffoon again!

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    VGA is the std pc monitor input, yes. It's the scaler which has RGB and sync input, it's 4 phonos, you just use a lead with scart on one end, (sky) and the 4 phonos wired appropriately inside the scart plug. Iproving the 'normal' TV input, this is the inbuilt analogue? Not really, analogue is usually pants on a plasma anyway, and I'm afraid there is a certain amount of truth in PJclark's rather flippant post, but you didn't need me to tell you that I'm sure. PJ is a bit direct, you get used to him after a while!!, but he does talk sense most of the time.

14. Mr B

Mr B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW a question for you:

If you were connecting video processor to PWD6 and were choosing between VGA and DVI input, what would you choose? Is there any groundbraking difference between those two?................ Thank you for your support in my learning

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    There is little to choose between them, and sometimes it's very tricky to get DVI working. I use an iscan HD on VGA at home, the DVI is connected to my projector for easy switching between them.

16. ReggieDaMole

ReggieDaMole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :confused: Why are you using a RF tv signal when you have SKY? Why not watch everythingm through Sky RGB and do away with the RF altogether. Can't see the point of switching between them.