Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

utilising pre-outs on amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Stoatman, May 25, 2005.

1. Stoatman

Stoatman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Hello everyone, i have a couple of confusing questions going round in my head and i hoped you would be able to help me.

Firstly, if a connect the front preouts from an AV amp to a stereo amp and my Gallo micros to the stereo amp. Is it right to say that i will get no sub output from the system unless i cnnect the sub to the stereo amp using the high gain input ?

Secondly, can i connect the preouts to monobloc power amps (Musical fidelity X-A50's) will this use the av amps pre-amplifier. Does the AV amp control the volume ?

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    for the first one i think the sub pre out will still work on the av amp

3. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    To the second one. Yes you can connect the pre-outs to monoblocks and the main amp will do all the processing nad control the volume.

What amp are you using Stoatman??

4. Stoatman

Stoatman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Unfortunately at the moment i have a lowly pioneer without pre-outs. But i also have A musical fidelity X-a1 and two X-a 50's doing nothing at my parents house. I was planning to get a goodish AV amp, cambrige audio Azur or lower price denon with preouts; and connect up the X-A1 for center duties and maybe even the X-A 50s for rears. I was just concerned i would lose all bass when listening in stereo.

5. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    What speakers are you using ? Maybe you could bi-amp them using the monoblocks on the fronts instead of the rears. It usually bring major improvements in bass power and control. If your speakers can be biwired (2 sets of plugs on the back) then you can bi-amp.

What is your amp budget And what are your main use, music or movies (%)??

6. Stoatman

Stoatman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Unfortunately my gallo micros cannot be biamped. I previously had the quad 11L's biwired with the said amps in my stereo system. Unfortunately i then moved to a smaller space and bought the gallo's (which are a great speaker) and MJ acoustics pro 50. All sounds great but i am missing my quality stereo. Therefore i am hoping to at least make use of the amps for the time being.

I hope to move in the future and have, as you say, my quads (which i have boxed away) biwired at the front and have my gallos as rears. I think that would be great.

I'm probably looking at second hand around the £200 mark. I listen to some music but as i say i miss my brilliant stereo performance. As i am probably going to use external amps i wanted something that had good surround properties, but nothing too fancy. Anything which has six channel inputs and preouts would be great. I mention the Azur as i heard that was good.