Usual Suspects, your thoughts ?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by dUnKle, Apr 26, 2002.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,274
    Just watched the new R2 version of this film and was mightly impressed.

It was only the 2nd time I have seen the film and the 1st time was shortly after it came out so there was a fair bit I had forgotten.

The ending still leaves me smiling but I still have my doubts on who KS is ?

What ae your thoughts and reasons behind the whole thing ?

2. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Surely there are two possibilities (and I'm going to try to not give too much away in case there's still anyone who hasn't seen it)...

1. KS does exist, and VK is really him.

2. KS does not exist and VK made him up.

Don't any of the commentary tracks on the new release help at all?

I haven't looked there myself, but I suspect that there are rather a lot of comments on this matter on the Internet Movie Database.

Bert
    http://ww.bertcoules.co.uk

3. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I would go with option 2

Quality film

4. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A few years ago, Empire ran a series of "Who is Keyser Soze?" articles and these confused rather than clarified his identity.

It is, without doubt, a wonderful ensemble cast and film.

5. geenuis

geenuis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Recently purchased the R1 version, the film is obviously brilliant but the extras are equally good.

As for Keyser Soze, well i would have to agree with the 2nd option, Fear is a powerful tool!

6. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Verbal is Keyser Soze... but what you need to realise is that he has been telling the story, so what you've just given two hours of your life to watching is perhaps total bull**** in even the movie bull**** way of bull**** (if you get my meaning, I've been drinking again) which makes it cooler than a cold thing.

7. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    or

3. Verbal isn't Keyser Soze but given that he's the only one that has survived and Verbal was a a bit of a loser, why not pretend to be a master criminal rather than a petty criminal. After all, if he admitted his petty criminal involvement, he probably would have been charged. In acting the way he does and fabricating the story to seem as though have might be directly involved, the police dismiss him as a looney and release him.

??

[​IMG]

8. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    If Verbal is only pretending, who is he pretending to? Does he know he's in a movie? Now that would be a clever (not to mention surreal) twist...

Bert
    http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

9. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Regardless of what it means, the best thing about this movie is seeing it with someone who's never seen it before, and watching their reaction at the end. As good as the film itself.

10. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Great movie, thought it must be option 1 (didn't he have a luxury car waiting for him outside?)

11. Whatts

Whatts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ouch, my poor brain :confused:
    I'd go for option 1.5, Soze is Verbal's criminal alter ego...

- Tom -

12. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    So if Verabl is KZ, what happened to his accent? Aha.:D

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course KS exists. It is a great film I think.

14. lechacal

lechacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Um...if VK isn't KS, then why does the hospitalised guy screaming about KS produce an artists impression that looks exactly like him? As this is one of the very few parts of the film that doesn't come from VK, it must be one of the only parts you can totally rely on.

I do believe that VK is KS or a henchman of KS, otherwise how do you explain the 'connections' he has that get him released. And why would someone with a Jag pick him up at the end.

He's obviously not 'plain-old' VK, or why would his limp disappear at the end. And he suddenly appears a lot more confident and self-posessed.

I don't see any other explanation that fits, and I always thought this was obvious. I stand to be corrected though. What's the evidence for that other people consider possible explanations?

15. geenuis

geenuis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you watch the story closely then you noticed that Verbal makes up just about all the interview. Keyser Soze was made up by himself to put fear into other people. The hungarian who described keyser soze for the photo-fit as being verbal was lead to believe that was keyser soze.

If you was to look at verbal in the street then theres not much of him to be scared off, so he invents keyser soze. When your dealing with people, its all about who fears who the most. If you dont fear someone, you dont feal obliged to meet there demands.

As for the guy in the jag, he was his business partner who met the gang about halfway through saying he worked for keyser soze.

I suppose as somebody else has already said, the best answer is that keyser soze was verbal's alta-ego.

And for why he was released, the only reason he was there was to help find who dunnit. The cops didn't have him for anything, until the very end.

16. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Option 1: Verbal is Keyser

Pretty much confirmed by the featurettes.

17. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If what we were seeing was Verbal's account of what happened then surely he admitted to Agent Kujan that he was the one who murdered Saul Berg (the jeweller), but it was explained at the start that Verbal had immunity from prosecution, how he arranged this I don't think is explained. Even so I find it hard to believe they would let someone walk who had just confessed to a murder.

I guess it was Verbal Kint that was the assumed identity (one he had developed over many years), assumed of course by Keyser Soyze so he could infiltrate this gang and work among them without arousing suspicion. Keyser wanted the guy on the boat dead cause he was the only one who could identify Verbal Kint as Keyser Soyze.

The hungarian in hospital (Kobosh) identified Verbal as Keyser Soyze because that is who he thought he was, he knewn a Keyser Soyze and heard he was involved, but had never heard of Verbal Kint. Funny that cos the point of the boat raid was to whack a witness but the raid created another wintess in the form of Kobosh.

The jag driver at the end is the 'lawyer' Koboyashi.

18. lechacal

lechacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Well, he's played by Pete Postlethwaite, but the name Kobayashi was an invention. And we don't know that the character was genuine because we only heard about him from VK.

19. Whatts

Whatts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not quite. The driver of the car that picks Verbal up in the end is Kobayashi (probably that's not his real name but it is the same guy)...

- Tom -

20. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    whatever his 'real' name is, pp's character is obviously verbal/keyser's 2nd in command.

21. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Most definatley isn't his real name, don't you remember the mug that the interrgator was drinking out of.

Also, can anybody explain the part at the beginning on the boat when 'KS' puts out the fire by peeing on it yet doesn't do this when VK is telling the story.

22. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    what is the accent Pete Postlethwaite is 'trying' to do ?

Great actor but very odd in the Usual Suspects

23. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Pakistani I think.

24. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the intro where keyser stops the fire by ****ing on it is what actually happened, this occurs before the interview with Verbal Kint begins and is the only thing we see rather than being told about.
    This is why Dean Keaton puts such an accent on the word 'Keyser', he sees Verbal (hat and coat, lighter gold, watch gold) and realises he has assumed the identity of Keyser.

25. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funny this should come up - just got it on R1 and I thought it was absolutely class.

Recommended :)