UST Projector Total Confusion

Jimmy2shoes

Hi,

I am in the middle of planning my mini home theater. It's been a long time since I personally owned a projector so I have been spending hours online checking out reviews and such.
In the end it came down to two projectors

1) Optoma P2
2) Epson LS 500

So I thought that's grand I think I will be happy with either of these two projectors until I came upon this website.

GUIDE D’ACHAT 2020 VIDEOPROJECTEURS UST 4K – – Le Blog de PHC –

I knew that the VAVA existed but I had no idea that there was so much more UST projectors on the market at the same price as the P2 but seems to offer more in terms of PQ. Like this one
CHIQ V8S 4K UHD LASER ULTRA SHORT THROW PROJECTOR
This projector seems to much better than the P2 for the same price

So I am at a bit of a loss at the moment at what to do. So with the P2 where I know I will get a good warranty and service. Go with the other brands like above that could be more difficult for after sales service.

My setup will be for dark room viewing as I have a Oled in the other room for daytime and casual use. This is for purely the Cinema experience so black levels with good contrast ratio would be a high priority. I know it won't be OLED but that's fine. Smooth 24p motion is also high on the list as well. Don't care much for gaming or input lag. Even HDR is not big on my list SDR makes up 80% of my movie content.

It has to be a UST projector as I want to have the room set up in a way that it doesn't look like a home cinema during the day as I will be using it as a recording studio. So it will be a covert style setup. Well as much as I can 🤣 there will be 2xPB3000's going in and quality speakers which I have already.

The projector is the missing piece in the jigsaw

Thanks in advance

Jim

Pulse1

Hi,

I am in the middle of planning my mini home theater. It's been a long time since I personally owned a projector so I have been spending hours online checking out reviews and such.
In the end it came down to two projectors

1) Optoma P2
2) Epson LS 500

So I thought that's grand I think I will be happy with either of these two projectors until I came upon this website.

GUIDE D’ACHAT 2020 VIDEOPROJECTEURS UST 4K – – Le Blog de PHC –

I knew that the VAVA existed but I had no idea that there was so much more UST projectors on the market at the same price as the P2 but seems to offer more in terms of PQ. Like this one
CHIQ V8S 4K UHD LASER ULTRA SHORT THROW PROJECTOR
This projector seems to much better than the P2 for the same price

So I am at a bit of a loss at the moment at what to do. So with the P2 where I know I will get a good warranty and service. Go with the other brands like above that could be more difficult for after sales service.

My setup will be for dark room viewing as I have a Oled in the other room for daytime and casual use. This is for purely the Cinema experience so black levels with good contrast ratio would be a high priority. I know it won't be OLED but that's fine. Smooth 24p motion is also high on the list as well. Don't care much for gaming or input lag. Even HDR is not big on my list SDR makes up 80% of my movie content.

It has to be a UST projector as I want to have the room set up in a way that it doesn't look like a home cinema during the day as I will be using it as a recording studio. So it will be a covert style setup. Well as much as I can 🤣 there will be 2xPB3000's going in and quality speakers which I have already.

The projector is the missing piece in the jigsaw

Thanks in advance

Jim
I think the Epson EH-LS300 UST projector could suit your needs the most actually. I researched all the UST projectors and ended up getting the black version myself and i'm really happy with it. Although the Epson EH-LS300 is a native 1080p it can accept either 4K/60Hz not with HDR or 4K/30Hz with HDR then downscales to 1080P. It plays and auto switches to 24Hz material also and is very bright. Has a shorter throw ratio than the LS500 and is easy to setup. The only negative is it's fan noise which is fine until you go above 70% light output. At 50/55% it's whisper quiet but at 75% it starts to get noticable. The website you shared a link to has also reviewed the LS300, and he actually liked it, and overall more than the Ls500. There is no rainbow effects either due to it being LCD like the LS500 you mentioned. All the rest of the USTs are DLP. There is a lot of misinformation on forums from people that haven't got an UST projector and jump on the bandwagon that it has to be this or that and you have to have a certain special screen or there is no point in getting one. I have a 77inch 16/9 woven acoustic fixed frame screen with black acoustic back backing to block out everything behind the screen including the light coloured wall. There is no overspill at all from the projector and we watch it during the day in natural daylight and at night with light coloured walls . I have black out roller blinds to block out the sunlight as like you i had a 65inch Oled prior to the projector and couldn't watch that either due to the sunlight so got the black out roller blinds. It doesn't matter what display you put in a room with sunlight or strong ambient light it kills the image so don't believe that you have to have a special screen because you definitely don't. I know you are planning to put it in a dark room and my above comments about a light coloured room dosen't apply to you but as long as you don't expect Jvc black levels then you will be ok as no UST projector today can compete with the black levels of a Jvc projector.

Brian

Jimmy2shoes

I think the Epson EH-LS300 UST projector could suit your needs the most actually. I researched all the UST projectors and ended up getting the black version myself and i'm really happy with it. Although the Epson EH-LS300 is a native 1080p it can accept either 4K/60Hz not with HDR or 4K/30Hz with HDR then downscales to 1080P. It plays and auto switches to 24Hz material also and is very bright. Has a shorter throw ratio than the LS500 and is easy to setup. The only negative is it's fan noise which is fine until you go above 70% light output. At 50/55% it's whisper quiet but at 75% it starts to get noticable. The website you shared a link to has also reviewed the LS300, and he actually liked it, and overall more than the Ls500. There is no rainbow effects either due to it being LCD like the LS500 you mentioned. All the rest of the USTs are DLP. There is a lot of misinformation on forums from people that haven't got an UST projector and jump on the bandwagon that it has to be this or that and you have to have a certain special screen or there is no point in getting one. I have a 77inch 16/9 woven acoustic fixed frame screen with black acoustic back backing to block out everything behind the screen including the light coloured wall. There is no overspill at all from the projector and we watch it during the day in natural daylight and at night with light coloured walls . I have black out roller blinds to block out the sunlight as like you i had a 65inch Oled prior to the projector and couldn't watch that either due to the sunlight so got the black out roller blinds. It doesn't matter what display you put in a room with sunlight or strong ambient light it kills the image so don't believe that you have to have a special screen because you definitely don't. I know you are planning to put it in a dark room and my above comments about a light coloured room dosen't apply to you but as long as you don't expect Jvc black levels then you will be ok as no UST projector today can compete with the black levels of a Jvc projector.

Brian

Hey Brian,

Thanks you for such a detailed reply 👍

So I have been switching back and forth between considering to go with a traditional projector instead. This of coarse led me down another rabbit hole but settled on the Epson 6050.

So I thought that's grand, I'll order that and get going. It just dawned on me that before I order I should check to see what image size I will get at my throw distance which is 126" from the wall to lens
Turns out I was barely getting a 100" screen in the distance I had to work with.
So back to UST 😂

My two projectors to choose from are now

1) Xiaomi Mijia 1S 4K
2) LS300

I am leaning toward the Xiaomi simply fort the better black levels and the throw distance is very small. Plus it's stunning value for money 1450 euro ( considering I was about to buy the Epson 6050) that I am will to take a risk not going with a European supported brand.

Or I might just go with the LS300.

TBH At this stage I don't think I will be disappointed by either

Jim

Pulse1

How do you know the Xiaomi has better blacks? I personally don't know which one has the better blacks as i've not had the Xiaomi in my room and throwing an image onto my screen i have now to compare against the Epson LS300. I've had Crt projectors and Jvc projectors in a batcave which were professionally calibrated, and an Lg Oled in the past with the same room conditions i have now and i can assure you that the blacks from the Epson LS300 are very good indeed. Personally i don't think you will be disappointed with the black levels of the ls300 at all, but if the throw ratio and the price are more important to you then i can see why you would be leaning more towards the Xiaomi. Best of luck with whatever one you go for Jim.

Brian

thomper

Novice Member
I bought one of the first Xiaomi Mi HD UST projectors (Chinese model). The price was decent and initially it was a good unit, albeit noisy. Over the course of 2 years of pretty light useage, it started developing dead pixels and now has almost 40 dead pixels. As it seemed to be impossible to get it repaired, I just recently replaced it with an Optoma P2 and didn't even consider the Xiaomi 4K unit. Loving the P2 so far on my cheap, matte white screen and just waiting for my ALR screen to arrive.

Akeela

Novice Member
Both are ok, if you have a room with controlled ligt,I think is a far away day's when we look on a wall alr screenn during the daylight.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom