USM/HSM Focussing

baldrick

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just out of interest, if I buy a Pentax K10D with high speed (HSM) focussing, will my existing non-HSM lenses work with the new body?

Also will HSM/USM lenses only work with HSM/USM bodies? Again with reference to the current Pentax line up you have the K100D, K110D and K10D. Of these only the latter has HSM focussing. Does this mean Sigma/Tamron etc... will have to make 2 versions of their lenses for Pentax until all their cameras feature HSM/USM?

USM.HSM refer to ultrasonic motors in lenses that don't rely on traditional motors to drive them - they're quieter and generally faster as a result.

Are you sure you're not confusing either a high-speed frame rate or continuous AF mode on the K10D with this. I'm not aware of any camera that can turn a non-USM lens into one.

USM.HSM refer to ultrasonic motors in lenses that don't rely on traditional motors to drive them - they're quieter and generally faster as a result.

Are you sure you're not confusing either a high-speed frame rate or continuous AF mode on the K10D with this. I'm not aware of any camera that can turn a non-USM lens into one.

What I meant was the K10D supports HSM/USM lenses whilst the K100D/K110D don't. If buy a traditional focussing lens with HSM/USM for my *ist DS will the lens also work on the K10 or would I have to replace it with an HSM/USM version?

And in the same vain Pentax make bodies with and without HSM/USM therefore are Sigma/Tamron going to wait until the whole Pentax range of bodies support HSM/USM before they start making HSM/USM lenses with a Pentax mount?

Ah I see - I'd be very surprised if you couldn't use the non-USM lenses with the K10D (if I understand correctly).

As for Sigma/Tamron - God only knows. They tend to look at the Nikon and Canon mounts first though.

A non-USM lens will work on a K10 but without USM - K10s also have a screw drive.

Your second question, I'm not 100% sure. Minolta had this situation 10 odd years ago when they introduced SSM (USM) lenses. On certain bodies the SSM lenses are manual focus only. However, and this is good news, Minolta found a way to update those cameras deemed worthwhile (their only SSM lenses are ultra exotic - so although you couldn't update a budget body, their pro bodies could be updated)

That was back in the world of film when cameras didn't plug into computers. In today's world of digital, with upgradeable firmware, I'd expect Pentax would be able to add support for those lenses in a firmware update.

Sigma/Tamron tend to offer HSM (their version) in Sigma/Canon/Nikon mounts only. If you buy another mount then you get the same lens, but with screw drive autofocus.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom