1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Yamaha DSP-AX620 as Pre-Amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by agw_01, Jul 7, 2003.

Tags:
  1. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of getting a power amp, or maybe just an integrated amp (like the NAD C-series, which allows you to turn it into a power amp) to replace my Yamaha Amp. I use my system mostly for music, and while I think that the Yamaha is a superb performer, it makes perfect sense to get something more suitable for music.

What I am thinking of doing, is getting a nice power amp or a NAD C350 or C370 and running (very expensive) cables from the pre-outs on the back of the DSP-AX620 to the inputs on the power amp. This would allow me to keep all the AV inputs and outputs (which have been a god-send) but have the power and sound quality of a stereo amp.

Will using the Yammy as the pre-amp degrade sound quality, or will it just bypass the signal straight to the power amp, giving me the sound quality of the power amp?

Looking to spend quite a bit on a nice amp, as I am going to be upgrading to Quad 11Ls and a Velodyne CHT-15 when I get a job.

Thanks for any help and comments.

Also, any recommendations on decent power or intergrated amplifiers?

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Buy a good quality stereo amp like NAD C370, Roksan Kandy, Arcam A85, etc and use this for fronts. Use the Yamaha for the surround channels only. The pre-amp in the Yam isn't great for music and adding a power amp won't help.

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2nd Nobber's comments.

I upgraded from a Yamaha AV amp to a Audiolab 8000S, massive improvement (initally it sounded the same, as the Audiolab was brand new) but going back to the Yamaha for stereo after a couple of months... urghh.. flat, lifeless with no detail.

Look for a good quality second-hand integrated.

Regarding your other thread.. I would save up and get better speakers.. something like like £250+ new or same sec/hand.

4. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot for the quick reply :)

Yeah, I was thinking of getting a NAD C370, but I really like all the inputs that the Yamaha has.

I've been looking at the Arcam A85 too which seems too thin to pump out all that power! lol

Thanks again

5. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek: And I thought the Yamaha sounded good! lol

Thanks for the info about the speakers, I've just been talking to a mate, who suggested something from the B&W 60x range... worth a look?

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You probably know of my feelings towards B&W 6xx range! :p

Depends what you like I guess.. if you like PA brashiness boom-box sound, go for them (IMO)

A pair of Q15's slaughters B&W 601's (yes have both in our house)

I would strongly recommend buying/demoing amp & speakers at the same time.. if you get a neautral sounding amp now, and then on buy them B&W (splashy) then the sound will offend you.

7. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had no idea you felt like that :eek:

Dunno what my mate will say when I tell him what *someone* thinks of the B&W 6xx's :D

Well, the new speakers are just to keep me going until I start work and can afford a new pair (got Quad 11L's in mind) and a new amp... but I guess it would be better to hang on a bit
    :confused:

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where's sound dog? :)

The B&W's are fine with the Yamaha- the yamaha hides the true B&W 6xx sound.. but once connected up to more revealing amp (8000S/SX combo), compared against other speakers- Kef Q15, Ruark Epilogue... the B&W sound is quite tiresome.. treble is too splashy/tishy, lack of midrange, bass sound is very whoompy and bloated.

Not just my ears either, brother and a mate spent time comparing them.. all came to the same conclusion.

Putting on my flamesuit.

Oh do you know how to connect a integrated amp to a AV amp ?(pre-outs)

9. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I had the same 620 Yamaha amp partnered with Mission 700 bookshelf speakers early last year, so I know what you are hearing now. Nice warm sound, but you are missing out on a lot of detail.

I recently demoed the Quad 11L's and LOVE them. Crystal clear sound, very neutral with no hint of harshness anywhere (note my amp Arcam AVR200 is already warmish sounding too, but this shouldn't matter which amp you try). They will be sitting in my living room very shortly! :smashin:

10. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Surely not Nathan!! WHFS&V LOVE all the B&W's, giving them 5 stars everytime! :D You must be mistaken. :eek:

;)

11. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmmm, so I should stay away from the 6xx's then? :hiya:

And, I think so... the Yamaha has pre-outs for all 6 channels so if I did get an integrated amp, would I just plug the pre-outs into say the CD input on the integrated amp?

One of my mates who has a NAD C350, said that the C-series have jumpers where you can turn it into a power amp, so I would have probably got a NAD C370.

12. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek: Yeah, it does sound pretty good, but I agree with other people here, saying that Yamahas are good for movies... watching Shallow Hal in a big room was awesome! Never heard sound quality like that before!

The Quad 11L's were some speakers that I was thinking of demoing, and hearing that, I think that I might have to get a demo next week. I'll go down to my local Practical Hi-Fi as they have rows of amps and speakers available for demos, so I can also give the B&W 60x's a whirl :D

13. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try and find a integrated with the "direct" button on the front- Arcam range, 8000S/60irv.. it's well worth spending the extra and getting one (you don't want to plug into a spare input- two cons- 1) going via another pre-amp and 2) have to set to 12 o clock for AV, then reduce for CD)

To connect a AV amp to a integrated with direct/poweramp input look here (scroll down to the pic)

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67806&highlight=8000s

And you can read the pillow fight between me & S.D.! :)

14. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah yeah, I see...

I didn't know that integrated amps had dedicated pre-amp inputs, but then it depends on how much you spend.

That pic was very helpful :) Thanks.

lolol, pillow fight :D

15. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I agree completely. Ultimately, you are going to be very disappointed with the proposed, almost lateral move from your current setup.

I'd hold onto your cash until you have £250+ to spend on a decent stereo pair and at least £50 for decent stands. Demo the Kef Q1s - after the 601 s3 if you can. They are superior (IMO) and also slightly cheaper. The Quads are quite a bit more expensive but are universally praised. The Monitor Audio Silver series might also be worth a look if you have that kind of cash to spend.

If you are going to concentrate on stereo only and have multiple sources I don't see why you need the AV amp at all (I know you aren't video switching and have no multiple channel sources). Just use the inputs on the integrated amp. The preamps in something like an Arcam A75 or NAD C370 will be far, far superior to those in your Yamaha.

Oh yeah... a CHT-15 might be overkill for your bedroom. :D

MuFu.

P.S. If you want speakers that make your ears bleed just buy loads of Eltax floorstanders and some cheap P.A. amps. ;)

16. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well... I'm not going to get new speakers yet... I've decided that my current Missions are more than enough for the moment.

As I said in the other thread, when I get a job, it'll be a different story. I'm going to spend major money on a nice stero setup, which sure, might be overkill for my bedroom, but once I get my own place, will be perfect! I'm going to try and get demos of some speakers/subs and amps in the next few weeks, and try and get a rough idea of what I want.

The only time I use the video inputs on my amp, are for my PC or when copying stuff from another VCR or Video Camera, but I can easily use the inputs on my VCR for those.

And, I see what you mean about the CHT-15 being overkill for my room... it could just sit downstairs and my mum could put the hamster cage on it... until I turn it on and kill the poor thing :rotfl:

Thanks to you all for the replies... I've got a clearer picture of what I want my system to end up like :)

17. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I added a C370 to my DSPAX620 and the improvement is huge.
    For Music I use C370 as an integrated & HC I use C370 as a power amp.
    A quality switch box lies between Yamaha Pre outs, NAD Pre amp outs and main power amp in.

Doing this also increases Dynamic power by some 20% as the Yamaha is only driving Centre and rears.
    Not much improvement with music though
    :(
    lesson: Run your CD player into 620's Front L&R 6channel inputs and it improves quite a bit as bass management and a-d & d-a's are bypassed.:

18. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    agw_01: why haven't you got a DVD player in your sig? Don't you have one yet?

19. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply wookie :)

Well, I was going to get a new amp and keep the Yamaha, simply because I haven't had it for too long, and I think it's a nice bit of kit.

Also, thanks for the info about the 6 channel inputs... I might give that a go now.

Nobber22, You got me! Sadly, no! Not even one on my PC
    I can't afford one at the moment, but my sister has a Samsung DVD player which i sometimes "borrow" from her bedroom. I've seen all these cheapo Schneider and Alba DVD players, but I thought that if I'm going to get a DVD player, I might as well save up and get a decent one. Also, I don't have a job yet, so have very little income :(