• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Using Win7 or a PS3 for a media centre- best picture quality?

sambd

I have been using media browser with windows vista media centre for some time now and when it works it is great but the picture quality isn't the best even when playing a DVD from the disk.

I have a lot of DVDs backed up on my hard drive on my main computer and I am streaming them to my HTPC. Windows 7 has been released to students and I am considering using it for my HTPC.

I do also have a PS3 which I could use as a media centre. All my DVDs have been ripped into MKV's I have just brought 2 1TB harddrives so I will also now be ripping blu rays onto them using makeMKV.

What would be the best option? If I use the PS3 will i get better picture quality? How easy is it to view films on the PS3 I already have over 50 films ripped is it possible to view them in a similar way to media browser?

PS3 is great hardware but if your PC is powerful enough to run as a HTPC setup for HD content playback then us W7MC. With Mediabrowser and all of the other lovely configuration/hack tools available you'll have a much better user experience

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom