• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

using WHS 2011 as a workstation OS

ncmoody

What about using WHS 2011 as a workstation OS

I have read http://www.avforums.com/forums/windows/1018846-whs-desktop-os.html
But I do not think the arguments no longer apply now as I have had no problems finding all the drivers I needed. Video, Audio, Printers etc.

So far the only problem I have found is that Windows Security Essentials will not load to it, but there are other AVs that are OK I understand.

I have had no problems switching off all the extra gubbins and making it more efficient.

At £34 against £110 it seems a no brainer, am I missing anything?

I don't play games and my main uses are office work, photo manipulation and running VMs.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
I found that multimedia support is a big problem, you need OS support for various features to work.
Fortunately this was optional for me on my server, there may be other issues but I only need basic server features.

Singh400

Distinguished Member
No way, WHS isn't tuned for day-to-day use. It's tuned for as a local file sharing platform. A crapton of 'normal' services and applications are disabled out of the box.

ncmoody

No way, WHS isn't tuned for day-to-day use. It's tuned for as a local file sharing platform. A crapton of 'normal' services and applications are disabled out of the box.

I have disabled the services not wanted for W/S use and enabled a couple.

I have bench-marked it against other workstations and it is faster. You can change the tining form 'Network' to 'local apps'

As yet I have found no down-sides, I am interested in reading comments from someone who has done it before and has practical negative experiences.

ncmoody

I have disabled the services not wanted for W/S use and enabled a couple.

I have bench-marked it against other workstations and it is faster. You can change the tuneing from 'Network' to 'local apps'

As yet I have found no down-sides, I am interested in reading comments from someone who has done it before and has practical negative experiences.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom