1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using wall reflection for rear speakers ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by iwatkins, Nov 10, 2002.

1. iwatkins

iwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm just in the middle of setting up my first surround sound system.

However, the other half doesn't want the rears on the wall by our heads while sitting on the sofa. We also do not have any room to put them a long way back as the sofa is close up to the back wall sp stands are out unless it is the only thing we can do.

My only thought was to place them both on the floor behind the sofa, angled up so that the sound path is to the wall then back to the listener sitting on the sofa.

Poor drawing of what I mean here:
    [​IMG]

This is a view standing with your back to the TV looking at our back wall. Obviously there will be a sofa in front of this setup.

Would this work assuming a adjusted the speaker distance to the correct amount on the reciever ?

The walls are solid stone with plaster over them rather than plaster board so I'm hoping it would work OK.

Thanks in advance

Ian

2. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Bear in mind that the reflected signal will be out of phase with respect to the front speakers. You may have to experiment with reversing phase to see which way round is best.

The THX optimiser found on a number of THX certified DVDs has a number of audio tests designed to confirm correct phase between front and rear. Use this to determine which way round gives the best result.

Plaster-over-brick is a very good acoustic mirror.

Allan

3. iwatkins

iwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Allan,

I'll give it a try. Not sure if I can reverse the phase at the amp (I'll have to read the manual :rolleyes: ) but I guess just reversing the speaker cables will do it.

I'll let you know if it works OK, anything to keep her indoors happy.

Cheers

Ian

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    What kind of speakers are you using for the rears ?

5. iwatkins

iwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using the Eltax MovieMaxx 5.0 system for now (awaiting my annual bonus ;) ).

So the rears are smallish 2 way, closed box speakers, 100mm woofer and 20mm dome tweeter. Freq. Response is 80-20,000Hz. All this is according to the blurb on the box.

Anyway, it does actually seem to work quite well, even with the sofa pushed right back up against them. I'm messing about with the angle of the speakers to get the sound to sound "just right", but it does work. I had to increase the power to the rears a little but not as much as I thought I would have to. Also had to set the distance/time delay to the path length.

What will happen when I add the additional rear center, I don't know, but will try it before I spend money on a new set of speakers.

Cheers

Ian