using us PS1 or PS2 in the uk

Digitised

id like to get a US PS2 or maybe PS1 (and possibly some old cheap consoles from ebay) and run them here in the uk.
I have a well eqipped TV which supports all modern connections, and also runs 50/60hz.

What exactly will i need to run the following consoles

ps1
ps2
megadrive
snes

(megadrive and snes might be jap)

i always preferred NTSC consoles for their faster and crisper image.

Ragnarok

Digitised said:
id like to get a US PS2 or maybe PS1 (and possibly some old cheap consoles from ebay) and run them here in the uk.
I have a well eqipped TV which supports all modern connections, and also runs 50/60hz.

What exactly will i need to run the following consoles

ps1
ps2
megadrive
snes

(megadrive and snes might be jap)

i always preferred NTSC consoles for their faster and crisper image.
I wouln't say crisper, but i'd rather play the games as they where ment to be which usualy means NTSC/PAL60.

For the megadrive and snes you need to find a uk standard power supply for em. an old spectrum power pack works well on my US SNES.

The PS1 or Ps2 will need you to ether to open them up and fit a new power supply board which is uk standard or use a stepdown transformer to give you the 110v outlet. To be honest thogh you may as well just get a PAL PS2 modifed with a DMS4 , matrix or O2 chip and it'll run all your games in NTSC or PAL.

Whatever the console is the best results from the older ones in particular come from an RGB scart lead or componant on the PS2.

DPT1976

If you get a slim ps2 you wont need a step down convertor for it you only need to change the cable.

fallenangle

Stimpy100 said:
If you get a slim ps2 you wont need a step down convertor for it you only need to change the cable.
Is that really correct? Sounds suspect to me.

If you do use a step down tranformer with a NTSC machine make sure it has an appropriate power rating for the console(s) you're using.

Digitised

I actually wanted to get my ps2 modded, but since it was deemed illegal 2 years ago ive had no luck in finding anyone who can mod my ps2.
The best solution i found was to buy the kits (solder/non solder) and do it myself at the risk of killing my machine. For £70 of kit i decided not to bother, but sell my uk ps2 and just grab a US one.

I only want to run imported games anyway its not for piracy.

If anyone knows where i can get it modded (portsmouth UK) id be very grateful.
PS im not a policeman lol.

With older consoles will they run simply with basic official scart leads?
Or does the image need any conversion?

DPT1976

fallenangle said:
Is that really correct? Sounds suspect to me.

If you do use a step down tranformer with a NTSC machine make sure it has an appropriate power rating for the console(s) you're using.
Yes it is correct. I have a US slim ps2 and it has an external power supply which is one of the reasons that its so small. This power supply can take 110v -240v. All you have to do is change the cable that goes to the power supply so this is defiantly fact as im doing it myself.

Top Bottom