Using UK Network CD-Player in USA

Enigma6

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

First of all, (I'm already aware that I will need to use a step-up transformer)
Also, before anyone asks, ( I like this unit because I need a silver finish cd-player and a silver finish FM tuner/Internet Radio unit to go with the silver Yamaha A-S801, this unit covers all three.)

I'm interested in buying a Yamaha CD-NT670 that is a UK model. MusicCast CD-NT670 - Overview - Yamaha - UK and Ireland
The seller is a little hesitant about selling it to me because we're not sure if all the features will work here in the US. He did say that Tidal and Spotify should be fine, but is mentioning a possible issue with the DNS/IP routing as the machine will know that it is not in the UK. Having the Internet Radio and FM Tuner work are my biggest concerns.
After reading the Overview and Specs from the link above can anyone shed some light on what features would work and not work here in the US?

Thank you,
Enigma6

Last edited:
The FM tuner will certainly work. Cannot help with the streamer. My ipad/ laptop never cared where they were when streaming. Even China and Saudi Arabia.

Last edited:
The FM tuner will certainly work. Cannot help with the streamer. My ipad/ laptop never cared where they were when streaming. Even China and Saudi Arabia.
Thank you, well, nice to know that the FM tuner will work here. I think the internet connection may be a problem, I'll have to wait and see if anyone has any positive info on that for me.

How do you know that the FM Tuner will work correctly? I asked about this issue on another forum and this in the response that I got. "FM radio won't work correctly as the UK and Europe use 50uS deemphasis whilst the USA and Canada use 75uS. That means that the higher frequencies will be accentuated. That may be OK, it'll be like turning the treble control up a few notches, but it won't be right."

You need to check if it will work with the frequency difference between the UK and US

Last edited:
First of all, (I'm already aware that I will need to use a step-up transformer)

Don’t assume that will just work. There is a difference in the mains voltage frequency 50 vs 60 Hz and that can be a big issue for some devices. You would need to verify that the case. Some devices will auto switch and depending on the market location Yamaha often offer a 110@60, a 230@50 and a switchable one.

For example some Sony dream machine radio alarm clock uses the frequency (it’s very stable) for the time so will literally lose or gain 10 minutes every hour :(

I would be less worried about the Spotify and tidal working then everything else. So long as you have a valid account it doesn’t usually matter. If it does then you could use a VPN or smart DNS for that machine

How do you know that the FM Tuner will work correctly? I asked about this issue on another forum and this in the response that I got. "FM radio won't work correctly as the UK and Europe use 50uS deemphasis whilst the USA and Canada use 75uS. That means that the higher frequencies will be accentuated. That may be OK, it'll be like turning the treble control up a few notches, but it won't be right."
I stand corrected. I had a compact Sony HF&VHF(fm) radio in the 80s and 90s for listening to BBC world service on my travels around the world. The FM worked in the USA but I guess that I might not have noticed High Frequency attenuation on a decidedly low fi device. Aviation VHF navigation frequencies for ILS & VOR/DME sit just above the domestic FM band. VHF communication radio transceivers immediately above that. All work globally so I was deceived by my ignorance of de-emphasis. I should heed the advice of my radio & radar instructor back in 1974. ”it is better to keep you mouth shut and appear a fool, lad, than open it and confirm it”

Don’t assume that will just work. There is a difference in the mains voltage frequency 50 vs 60 Hz and that can be a big issue for some devices. You would need to verify that the case. Some devices will auto switch and depending on the market location Yamaha often offer a 110@60, a 230@50 and a switchable one.

For example some Sony dream machine radio alarm clock uses the frequency (it’s very stable) for the time so will literally lose or gain 10 minutes every hour :(

I would be less worried about the Spotify and tidal working then everything else. So long as you have a valid account it doesn’t usually matter. If it does then you could use a VPN or smart DNS for that machine
I thought step up and step down transformers would convert the 50Hz and 60Hz , but they don't , only the voltage. I did find that Taiwan makes the switchable equipment, but I'm a little confused by the way that the voltage and Hz is printed on the back. See attached, it shows 110-120/ 220-240 V at 50/60Hz. This leads me to think that the 100-120 is @ 50Hz and the 220-240 is @ 60Hz.

Attachments

• SGH_8199yy.jpg
    SGH_8199yy.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 40
I thought step up and step down transformers would convert the 50Hz and 60Hz , but they don't , only the voltage. I did find that Taiwan makes the switchable equipment, but I'm a little confused by the way that the voltage and Hz is printed on the back. See attached, it shows 110-120/ 220-240 V at 50/60Hz. This leads me to think that the 100-120 is @ 50Hz and the 220-240 is @ 60Hz.

No, to convert mains frequency is much harder to do, to convert from 110 <> 230V just requires a step up\down transformer. To convert frequency would require a whole load of electronics too.

Countries normally have ~110V @60hz (US) or ~230V ~@50Hz (Europe) whereas some countries like Japan have ~110V @ 50 or 60Hz so equipment can support both.

In the case of the picture either the device doesn't care about the frequency or can adapt appropriately and you just need to set the voltage appropriately.

Is that just a review photo, you tend to find that Yamaha sometimes produce 3 different variants of a model; a 230V@50Hz or a 110V@60Hz or one that is switchable\auto switching like the picture.

The UK version appears to have a captive plug, but even below is a stock photo as it would normally have the power input and rating text somewhere near the cable.

cd-nt670d_small_6-large.jpg

Another photo here

image-asset.jpeg

showing it will do 60Hz so might be ok if you get the same variant.

No, to convert mains frequency is much harder to do, to convert from 110 <> 230V just requires a step up\down transformer. To convert frequency would require a whole load of electronics too.

Countries normally have ~110V @60hz (US) or ~230V ~@50Hz (Europe) whereas some countries like Japan have ~110V @ 50 or 60Hz so equipment can support both.

In the case of the picture either the device doesn't care about the frequency or can adapt appropriately and you just need to set the voltage appropriately.

Is that just a review photo, you tend to find that Yamaha sometimes produce 3 different variants of a model; a 230V@50Hz or a 110V@60Hz or one that is switchable\auto switching like the picture.

The UK version appears to have a captive plug, but even below is a stock photo as it would normally have the power input and rating text somewhere near the cable.

cd-nt670d_small_6-large.jpg
I've seen three versions coming out of Japan, one shows 100V @ 50HZ, 100 V@ 50~60Hz as seen in Photo below and the other shows 100-120 @ 50~60 Hz.
Japan 100 V.jpg

Yes, that was a review photo taken from here: 3萬初頭就能享有一切: YAMAHA R-N803網路擴大機 - MY-HiEND

I just came across this:
50~60Hz.png
It basically states that the Hz only plays a part in certain electric equipment and doesn't seem to be an issue with TV's and stereos. If this is true then I could just buy the network receiver in photo above and only need a step down transformer to take me from 120 to 100 V. And, if it's showing 50~60Hz then it does either one correct?
Just found this as well: Electricity

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom