• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Using TV for HDMI switching not AV Reciever

chris8656

Novice Member
Hi - about to take the plunge and replace an old TV.

Current setup has HDMI to AV receiver then all the sources into the AV receiver.

The reciever is not 4K capable and I don’t really want to swap it just yet.

Would it work if I connected sources into the HDMI sockets of the new TV and then did audio by optical to the receiver?

Effectively making the tv the hdmi switching device? I can’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work just don’t want to get caught out!

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
It will work, but you'll lose all the higher quality audio formats. Using optical or using HDMI via the TV.

So you'll lose - DTS-HD MA, and TrueHD, possibly DTS 5.1 as well, that depends upon the TV.

You may also run into issues with lip sync.

chris8656

Novice Member
It will work, but you'll lose all the higher quality audio formats. Using optical or using HDMI via the TV.

So you'll lose - DTS-HD MA, and TrueHD, possibly DTS 5.1 as well, that depends upon the TV.

You may also run into issues with lip sync.

Thanks - looks like I’ll need to upgrade receiver too then really!

Coming from a Plasma and really struggling with what to get, thinking 55” oled, don’t really want to spend more than £1k which seems almost impossible!

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Unfortunately, you've chosen just the wrong time of year to buy a new TV.

Bargains galore were to be had 6-8 weeks ago as manufacturers sold 2019 models through for the new 2020 models.
2019 models are pretty much sold out everywhere. You could have a look and see if you can pick up a Panasonic GZ950 or LGC9, they were coming in close to your budget, the 2020 models are quite far over.

2020 models are the highest price they will be, having just been launched, they should start seeing decent discounts for Black Friday and then be at their lowest come next Spring to make way for the 2021 models.

The Philips 754 is in budget - Philips 55OLED754 55" 4K UHD OLED Smart TV | Crampton and Moore

But not sure I'd recommend it. Slow OS and a few issues in the owners thread with Philips CS looking quite poor and blaming everyone except themselves and their own products.

Last edited:

chris8656

Novice Member
Unfortunately, you've chosen just the wrong time of year to buy a new TV.

Bargains galore were to be had 6-8 weeks ago as manufacturers sold 2019 models through for the new 2020 models.
2019 models are pretty much sold out everywhere. You could have a look and see if you can pick up a Panasonic GZ950 or LGC9, they were coming in close to your budget, the 2020 models are quite far over.

2020 models are the highest price they will be, having just been launched, they should start seeing decent discounts for Black Friday and then be at their lowest come next Spring to make way for the 2021 models.

The Philips 754 is in budget - Philips 55OLED754 55" 4K UHD OLED Smart TV | Crampton and Moore

I have pretty much given up on the LG c9 after being given the round around with shops showing stock then not having it.

Was offered a Sony ag8 for just over budget but I’ve been put off by all the negative Android comments

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
I'm used to Android, having had a couple of phones before I switched to an iPhone and having a Nvidia Shield TV for a number of years.

I have 2x Sony TV's and a Samsung.

I do think the Samsung has the much better OS, it's much easier for my partner to do anything on it more complicated than switching channels or volume.
It wouldn't stop me buying a Sony though, particularly as they have great motion, colour and can have some great bargains.

gibbsy

You can still use any non 4K sources to the receiver. If you have a UHD player that has two HDMI out then one straight to the TV for 4K video and the second to the receiver for HD audio. If you have SkyQ and full UHD package then again HDMI to the TV and optical to the receiver although that will limit you to SD audio.

The TV will no doubt have ARC and if you can establish a good handshake between the receiver and TV then Dolby Digital Plus and any associated Atmos metadata (if you have 5.1.2 minimum) will be possible and that includes passing through Atmos from Sky if the TV itself is Atmos enabled.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom