• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Using TV as monitor help please

nashmills

Established Member
I've just taken delivery of a new Dell pc and I want to use my Sony KDL-40W3000 TV as a monitor.

In the past I have connected the DVI port of my laptop to the TV, using a DVI adapter and an HDMI cable, and had a perfect full screen 1080p image. The laptop has a Mobility Radeon X1400 card in it.

Now, when I connect my new Dell machine to the TV I get black bars all round the Windows Desktop and the text is very jaggy, almost unreadable. The Dell has an ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT card which is set to 1920 x 1080. For some reason my DVI adapter won't fit directly to the DVI port of the PC - I have to use the supplied DVI splitter - could this be something to do with it?

The display area of the TV is set to Full Pixel in the screen menu settings. The laptop uses XP Home and the new PC uses Vista Home Premium.

Any help with this problem would be much appreciated.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom