1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using TiVo/PVR's with Sky?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Cactusweasel, Nov 25, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Cactusweasel

Cactusweasel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi there,

Sorry if any of these Q's have been asked before!

Of all the PVR's out there, how well do they work with Sky? How do you go about recording things, do you have to set the program in your planner on Sky first, and then set the PVR to record separately?

Also, I read somewhere u can hook some boxes upto a PC and backup recordings?

I'm a total n00b when it comes to PVR's so go easy on me :rolleyes:

Many thanks,

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    Well with Sky you have 2 main PVRs - TiVo and Sky+

TiVo will control the Sky box via ir so no channel settings needed. TiVo has its own EPG so to set a recording just highlight the program and select record. TiVo will then change the Sky channel and start to record at the correct(ish) time. You can set it to start & finish a record with padding to prevent missing the start/end of the program if the channel is running early or late.

Sky+ is very similar except the Sky STB and the PVR are all in one box so just a single interface for both Sky & PVR.

Not too sure about Sky+, but the HDD can be removed from a TiVo and plugged into a PC and the programs ripped and then burnt to DVD etc but this is a tricky subject as the broadcasters consider this to be illegal and claim it to be software theft and therefore I don't think we can really offer advise on this on the forum. A search of the internet should pull up a few sites that can offer advise/instructions on how to do this.

Mark.

3. Cactusweasel

Cactusweasel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi there,

Thanks for the reply, things are much clearer now than they were last night!

As much as I would like Sky plus, I can't bear to give those money grabbing sods any more money, and then have the box become useless if I decided to switch to freeview. Plus I have read many peoples opinions that TiVo is a much better device anyway.

Damned if I can find a TiVo box for sale though, best (?) deal I have found was a modded one with 200gb hard drive for £299 on ebay, brand new apparently, but I dont fancy paying quite as much as that. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Many thanks,

4. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Tivo isn't sold anymore in the UK, so the best you're going to get is 2nd hand. Only other option for a PVR with Tivo-like capability is Sky+.

5. Cactusweasel

Cactusweasel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    If I get anything its definately going to be TiVo - I refuse to buy Sky+ for the simple reason if I get rid of Sky, it becomes useless. Even if I still use my dish with a free to air card, there no way of using Sky+ for recording even if you're prepared to pay the tenner a month!

I shall keep an eye out for a TiVo box :)

6. scgf

scgf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    A seller on Ebay has 17 brand new TiVos for sale - he has upgraded them to 200GB.

You can also buy a TiVo from www.tivoland.com - a highly reputable dealer and a well-known member of the TiVo Community Forum.

I have had a TiVo since day one. I had a brief flirtation with Sky+ and regretted it badly. TiVo is so much better and *so* hackable - I have tweaked the bitrates on mine so that the picture quality is excellent for a plasma screen. I can access it across my network and from the wider internet. I really couldn't be without it now.

I use my TiVo with Freeview. I decided to get rid of Sky completely :)

7. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'd like to know where this seller is getting brand new Tivo's from considering Thomson presumably haven't been making any since withdrawing from the UK market.

8. bailda

bailda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Must admit that I switched to Sky + from Tivo recently and love it. I now have a redundant Tivo box which I can sell for £25 if anyone interested.

9. scgf

scgf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I will buy it from you.

Cheers.

10. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    You could start a bidding war with an offer like that!
    I already own 2 TiVos and would also buy yours for that much, or even a little more. s/h TiVos regularly go for around £200 or more if an upgraded HDD has been fitted and/or it has a lifetime sub or TiVoweb etc etc.

Mark.

11. chachi

chachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll go out on a limb and guess there's a zero missing on that price ...

12. scgf

scgf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Given the message was sent at 11.16pm I will hazzard a guess that it was one of those post-pub moments ;-)

I have learned not to switch on QVC upon my return from my local. The rubbish I have bought!! :D

13. chachi

chachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bahaha ... wifey wants to know how to rig the netgear router to block all the ebay domains after 10pm :rotfl:

14. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    In fact this isn't so.
    You may use SKY+ with NO SKY Channel Package, just pay £10 monthly to use recording capabilities. :cool: