1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using TiVo from another room - Best way ?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by DJW, Sep 27, 2004.

Tags:
  1. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking for advice.

Want to be able to view & control TiVo from adjoining room. No problem drilling holes through wall. Looking to ideally feed into processor & then onto Plasma (still to be funded ;) )

Any suggestions on cheapest option please ?

Also heard of people networking TiVo to view on other PCs...does this actually work well & would normal wireless be fast enough ?

Cheers Dave

2. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    I just use a normal RF video sender. Have the transmitter plugged into the TiVo and 3 recievers around the house. so can control it from anywhere. Additional advantage is I can move one of the recivers into a different room if required.

3. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Graham

How much do they cost these days ? I had one a few years back at around £70....I was hoping not to have to spend that much if possible. I also found it to be a bit tempromental ....especially with remote.

Dave

4. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    I've had mine a few years now - got it from argos with two recievers and bought a third unit a while later.

so I'm not sure how much they are now. the one I use is "VideoSender" and it was about the price you said for the 1xtx and 2xrx. I think the 3rd Rx was about £20/£30 but is was a while ago

5. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    There's a Philips video sender someone recommended to me a while back, never got around to it.

I have my TiVo on my network so I can watch all recorded show from any PC inthe house. Main reason was to allow my HTPC to play them onthe PJ, doesn't help how your specific requirements but is also worth looking into as well as the video sender solution.

So which is the best performing Video Sender? Seems to be Dave's only real solution.

Actually, can't you run the RF out back up to the distribution box in the loft and get the signal from any TV that way? You'd still need to send IR command, but that could be done with some "Magic Eye" or IR Extnder couldn't it?

I really don't know much about this aerial signal stuff, but hopefully someone who does will either post a solution or tell me I'm mistaken.

Mark.

6. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    I bought a reel of cable and face plates and a crimper and an rf distribution unit with the intent to do that.

but then for £100 all in with no wire or drilling or DIY. no contest!

7. adrianeaton

adrianeaton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to give you all the options, for £99 (+ chip maybe) you could get an xbox which is capable of controlling a hacked tivo and streaming across a network directly whats stored on the disk so you can watch something different on the tivo at the same time. this works on a 54g wireless network not sure about a 11b though.

of course this gives you a media center to stream music and video as an added bonus.

Adrian

8. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    But it doesn't give you access to the live viewing does it Adrian? Pretty much the same situation as me and my Network access. I reckon these video sender guys have the right solution here.

Mark.

9. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By chance I already have a chipped XBOX :thumbsup: Out of interest is there a link out there for more detail on what you mention above ?

Thanks to others re sender units.....will have a browse for prices.

Cheers Dave

10. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,541
    if you have a PC in the viewing location, you could use tivoweb