Using Three SIM in other phones

mercunium

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an iPhone 4 on Three and will shortly be travelling to the USA. I have had my iPhone 4 unlocked (official unlock through Three and iTunes) and I plan on buying a local SIM card (AT&T) while there to use their PAYG unlimited data plan as I shall need to make local calls and require mobile data while I am there.

However, I still need to send and receive texts using my Three SIM. I have got hold of a microSIM converter, but I am unable to get my Three SIM to work in another phone.

The first phone I tried was a Samsung C3050, but this didn't work as it is not WCDMA compatible. Next, I borrowed an old Nokia 6280 which is locked to the Three network from a friend. On putting my Three SIM into that, it says 'Phone Restricted' and prompts for a 'restriction code'.

I went into my local Three store to ask about this where I was told that this is happening because the Nokia 6280 is a 2G phone and the SIM will only work in 3G devices. However, Wikipedia says otherwise: Nokia 6280 Series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

I understand it not working in a non-WCDMA compatible phone obviously, but not a phone locked to Three. My friend is still with Three and periodically uses the old Nokia without any problems with his Three SIM. He's away at the moment so I've been unable to try my SIM in his new phone.

Any ideas?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom