1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using the VCR´s tuner

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by keyser, Dec 7, 2003.

1. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    When I get my infocus 5700 up and running I´ll be using my VCR as the tuner for watching TV. Are there any VCR´s with S-Video out, and if so would that improve the picture for both videos and TV, are tapes maybe stored as composite and the S-video out wouldn´t do any good?

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    JVC do S-VHS decks but surely you could use a higher quality source, DSAT??? Dont know much about iclandic TV but you must have some type of High grade source.

3. Jonathan100

Jonathan100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    S-Video output is provided by S-VHS videos which provide a superious recording quality. The are however pretty expensive as compared to a standard VCR. For the cost you might be as well going for a DVD recorder as plenty of those come with s-video out as standard. Standard terrestrial TV is not going to look great on a projector though, it will make all of the imperfactions very visible.

In the UK we have freeview which is digital tele via the standard aerial system, simply decoded by a digital decoder. In the UK these tend to have RGB scart outputs though there may be some with s-video. If you do not have such a system available then perhaps a satelitte of somesort, again these often have s-video out.

4. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I use s-video from a Philips VR1000 s-vhs machine I got from Richer Sounds for £150.00 into a Panasonic PTLC75 PJ and while you can see the artifacts it is perfectly watchable. By the way does anyone know where you can get cheap s-vhs tapes from as unfortunatly the Philips does not do the s-vhs-et thing that the JVC decks do?:(

5. Joeki

Joeki
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sharp S-VHS machine that outputs a suprisingly nice picture from Sky and Freeview to an HS20 but then I cannot record from it. I use JVC SE-240 and 180 tapes from pricebuster.org.uk at 3.45 and 2.45. Not cheap I know but they are very good, and its hard to tell that you are watching recordings. You need to order a lot at time because of the high postage costs, and they are out of the 240s until 2004!

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215