1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using the Sony E407

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by House Song, May 16, 2005.

1. House Song

House Song

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having had great help from the forum, I have now bought an E407 (over the E99 - see the thread at http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209664&page=1&pp=15)

It's great - I'm so pleased. As it's my first foray into MP3s (previously listening to one CD a day in a CD walkman) and I'm blewn away. Apart from the joy of compilations again (harking back to mix-tapes!) such as Shack B-sides, and my own best of the Beta Band, little things like portability - not being effectively attached to my bag! - mean I'm well chuffed.

Re the E407 itself -

Further to excellent feedback from Andy Donovan on the above thread, I agree that the sound, design and battery are all very good. It really does look and feel great, perfect for keeping in a jeans pocket.

SonicStage has also been fine. Apart from not loading from the CD supplied onto my home PC (fairly old, running ME), no problems at all. Loaded it onto the much newer work PC (with XP) and have found using it no problem at all, quite user friendly for a novice.

Minor niggles - as Andy said, the screen's virtually invisible in daylight, but nevermind.

Also, a couple of times, I've found that album tracks have been copied twice to the player. I tried deleting/reloading the album from the player and that made matters worse, now every track is on twice - track 1 plays twice, then track 2 plays twice and so on... Hopefully, I'm just being daft here?
    The album's track list is correct within SS, the problem is just on playback. Could this be because I have the album tracks in question on a separate compilation loaded on the player?

Assuming that annoyance is my fault, my biggest issue is the volume, which could stand to be louder. Even with the AVLS turned off, I have it turned right up most of the time (and I'm not a deafened metal fan!). In fairness, I do listen mainly on the tube so there's a lot of background noise to overcome.

I wondered if recording volume could be adjusted at all?

Also, although the standard earphones seem pretty good, would I be better off with some inner-ear ones (like the Sony EX71 Fontopia's that I keep reading about) - do these block noise out?

The only other question I had - it ships with SS3.0, so I wondered if there's any value in upgrading to 3.1 (although, with SS's reputation, I'm inclined not to rock the boat!).

Cheers

2. SCHWONG

SCHWONG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Volume problems? I have a NW E507 and the volume on it can go pretty damn high, have you tried the following?

Go into the menu and go down to "Volume Mode" enter this and tick "Manual Volume" and then turning the volume up. (it should change the appearance of the volume thinger)
    Also turn AVLS Off
    Hope that helps !

Also i havnt encoutered duplication of music, but thats probably because ive been careful about using sonicstage :p ive heard bad things about it but it really doesnt seem so bad.
    I currently use SS3.1, never installed the stuff off the CD.

3. Andy Donovan

Andy Donovan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To continue the screen issue, I've found that it's easier to read the screen at an angle as the reflections aren't so bad. If you shade it with one hand and look down at the screen it's (quite) readable.
    Also, we finally had a properly overcast day today (hadn't realised it had been so long, must be almost summer). On an overcast day it's fine (although that won't be much help until next September!)

How's anyone else going on with battery life? I've still not had chance to run it down yet as it keeps charging up while I transfer CDs, but I reckon I'm on for about 30hrs which probably isn't too bad considering I've been skipping around and playing with the buttons all the time.
    With the screensaver on and not messing around with it too much I don't think Sony's 50hrs is that unrealistic really.

4. welshpaul

welshpaul
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Was thinking about buying one of these but have been put off by the inability to charge off the mains directly, only via a PC.

Any one know a workaround?

5. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    you do live in the UK right? the sun will last 'till June :) :D
    all this talk of difficulty reading the OLED, makes me think its better Sony didn't put it on the HD5

6. njiri

njiri
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Yep, Buy an E107. It uses an AAA battery.

7. SCHWONG

SCHWONG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive had it for about a week now, battery hasnt run out yet (still looking full on the battery indicator) but i am not using it a whole lot at the moment.

8. House Song

House Song

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can confirm that the issue I have with repeating album tracks is only present when the track is also loaded onto the E407 as part of a playlist.

I have checked the Sony knowledge bank to no avail, anyone got any ideas?

Anyone else had a similar problem woth SS3.0? Maybe upgrading to 3.1 is the answer.

I'll email Sony and see what they have to say....

9. House Song

House Song

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and this is what Sony have to say... (at least they got back quickly)

-----Original Message-----
    From: SUK.generalCIC@eu.sony.com [mailto:SUK.generalCIC@eu.sony.com]
    Sent: 01 January 1601 00:00
    To:
    Subject: Sony Enquiry
    Importance: High

Thank you for your recent enquiry.

I can confirm that the your observations are correct, in that an instance of the track is downloaded to the player for every occasion that it is referenced in an album or play list compilation .Upgrading to SonicStage 3.1 will not alter this situation.

Having said this, it is with regret that on some occasions a product may not suit each individual's specific requirements. While we are unable to assist directly on this occasion, I have logged your case with us as a complaint and as such, this will automatically get fed back to the products designers. Whilst they will not look to contact you directly as a result of this, you can be sure that at least your view on this will be recognised.

I apologise for any disappointment that this reply may cause you, but hope that the information is of assistance.

Finally, if you need to reply to this e-mail, please quote reference 147882144 in the subject field of your e-mail.

With Regards

Richard Brobrucki
    For and on behalf of
    Sony United Kingdom Limited

10. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Shame about that.

If you were in the market for a new Flash player, if only you'd waited for this. Seems likely to be a belter.

I know what you mean about the invisible. My E405/507 are already collecting dust. I've stopped using the Sony's and have gone back to the Creatives / iRivers. At least I can see their displays everywhere and I don't have to use software to load music.