Question Using The Same Hard Drive for Movies/TV programes

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by chaz, Jun 4, 2019.

1. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Hi I am back yo ask a other Silly question I have just fished loading all my films on to my 4TB hard drive which is now full. I have now a other hard drive to put the last of the few Films I have left but the rest of the new hard drive will be left for boxed TV series etc. I use Make MKV to do my copying for me and when I loaded the first film it asked me What folder I wish to use I put as follows J:/ Movies which was Ok but I then had a thought What about When I do the TV series What Happens.?I did open a other folder Named TV nothing else can someone tell me How I can change the folder on The Make MkvTV so I can copy my TV series without spoiling the TV folder without causing problems to the hard drive. Do I do This instead J:/Movies/TV

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  2. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,156
    In MakeMKV click view->preferences

Click on video tab, choose semiauto and pick a directory like J:/TV/ if you want MakeMKV to always copy everything into that with subfolders based off the name of the disc.

You will want to keep TV separate from movies and avoid confusing any automatic media library scanning.

Extracting TV shows using MakeMKV is a lot of work, more than movies as the individual .mkv episodes may not be in the correct sequence nor will they have all the correct titles.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. Dalesman

Dalesman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
  4. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,836
  5. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Hi Next I use Make MKV because it is so easy to use is there better way to do the TV series then? I do not like Menus or anything just go straight to the disc I have The Hard drive at the moment Named as J:/Movie liked I said above then do I change it J:/TV When I need to do TV series Is that correct Next? You know what I am like when it come to this sort of thing with me a contemplate THICKY

6. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,156
    Nope, no easy way to do it, at least that I know of.

This is what I used to do;
    1) Make a note of how many episodes are on the disc, usually written on packaging sometimes with title.
    2) Rip using makemkv to folder
    3) Open each episode in VLC or any media player, see which episode it is and rename it to something like (season/episode) S01E01.mkv and S01E02.mkv etc. This is the most time consuming part if not familiar with the episode or the episode does not have the title in it's opening sequence which is very common.

Optional
    4) Copy all the videos into a folder which has the name of the TV show the episodes are from e.g. TVShow//Blackadder/ filled with S01E01.mkv, S01E02 etc.
    5) Run Filebot and press "load", select all the videos from the TV show folder.
    6) Select Match->TheTVDB and it will scan folder name and apply show name and episode titles to the videos, press rename if happy with the results.

7. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Thank you very much next Will try and understand all this next Week What about Blu Ray 3D do the media player recognise it or should I put it on the list on make MKV. Just one more thing I will put my Cds onto the hard drive.I know what I have to do ( I think ) Flac or looseness. But do I have to have the TV on to listen to the music ?

8. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,156
    Never messed around much with 3D Blu-ray, but I do know the .mkv container does support 3D video flags so I'd go out on a limb and guess MakeMKV can extract the video.

If i recall 3D Blu-ray was a special form of H.264 video so your media player must support that too, try it and see is the easiest thing to do.

For the music that depends
    1) Does the media player offer a remote app via tablet or phone that can browse the music library and play it.
    2) Is the media player connected to a sound system or just TV.

If you have a remote and sound system then yes you can play without using the TV.

9. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Yes my media player is connected to the Hi Fi Next Thank you once again

10. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    As I said Next I will have a few films on the hard which I have a folder marked Movie I also have a folder named TV on the same hard drive is this the correct way to do this this? The first TV series I will put on is the BBC series The blue Planet if I open up the case it has 3 discs it has them marked disc one etc followed by episode 1 etc do I do the same as on the case or do what you said above. IAlso will not want a menu system as Like my films I like to go straight to the episode into it is this possible for me to without the menu list Or do I delete the Menu after ripping the disc?

11. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    This is what I have done so far Next what now should I keep the Disc name etc and the number of the disc

Attached Files:

12. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,156
    MakeMKV cannot extract menus so you don't have to deal with that.

For the Blue Planet just make sure episodes are in order, for example this is the season 1 order, there is a second Blue Planet II which is not considered a season 2 of the first.

So take the videos MakeMKV generates and put them all in a single folder, example;
    \TV\Blue Planet\
    S01E01
    S01E02
    S01E03
    And so on up to the last episode.

If doing Blue Planet II then it would be
    \TV\Blue Planet II\
    S01E01
    S01E02
    And so on up to the last episode.

Thats what I would do for organizing them, it's a lot work to check each episode, in addition MakeMKV may also rips video extras on the disc that are not episodes so things like behined the scenes features and others.

Also use VLC as PC media player instead of WMP as WMP is very old and cannot play many media formats. I can see from your screenshot WMP is associated with the video files as it has the WMP icon in bottom right of each video.

You can also just ignore what I would do and leave them as is, the way MakeMKV named them, it's your choice.

13. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Thanks Next I see you have \ in front of the TV and again after TV and again afterwards Blue Planet ll Do I have to do that to also when doing this folder do I name each episode as well. I know on my films I have put a date when the film was made do I do this with the Blue Planet folder as well as it was made in 20002. Thanks again update This what I have is this correct Next also can I change the the Title of each episode from Blue Planet to like What that episode is about like Episode 1 is The blue Planet etc etc Just one small thing when Make MKV copy's the whole disc but starts with episode 0 where on the disc does say Episodes 1-4 Can I change it Please see pictures

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  14. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,156
    The \folder\ brackets is just a way of illustrating a file system folder structure via this web forum, it's not something you have to add.

The way the videos are stored on the disc is not always in the correct order, MakeMKV reads videos streams on the disc not episodes.

So for example stream 0 may be a behind the scenes video, it could be an episode, it could be something else. Same goes for stream 1,2,3,4 etc.

The disc box says there are 4 episodes on that disc, MakeMKV by default will rip all video streams and from your pictures there are 9 videos ripped, only 4 of those 9 are the actual episodes.

You can't know what the order of episodes is without opening them in a video player and see if matches the description of that episode, then rename accordingly.

15. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    I will have a look and let you you know Next Many thanks once again

16. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Just To check please look at Picture one Next do I tick all the boxes or just one with the Highest MB I think all the boxes dont you

Attached Files:

17. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Is this the right way to do the Films Next

Attached Files:

18. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Update You are right about the Blue Planet disc there are 4 Episodes the rest are the Making of each episode which I will Delete if I wish. I think I have it right now. So I have one folder called Blue Planet 2002 then make a new folder for each episode with the name of the Episode Like The Blue Planet S1 E1 "The Blue Planet (2002) MKV or what ever episode it is Is this the correct way then do I put that in the Main Folder which Is called "The Blue Planet (2002) folder Series one or do it as Disc 1,2,3,4 etc and have a folder for each disc or can put all the 3 discs in that main folder. Thanks Next

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  19. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,156
    Yes the 10GB streams are the individual episodes, the 40GB stream is all 4 episodes merged into one like a movie.

Just make one folder /The Blue Planet (2002)/ and fill it with all of the episodes S01E01.mkv, S02E02.mkv etc, there is no need to make a separate folder for every individual episode.

Here is an example of how I structure a TV show.

Attached Files:

• tv.PNG
      tv.PNG
      Size:
      21.8 KB
      Views:
  20. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Thank you Next Somone has told me this way Now totally confused yours seems a lot easier.I do have two boxed sets one Called the Pacific The other the band of brothers now they cgo like this wich are as followes Disc One part one and two right up to disc Five The band of brothers as near enough the same like Disc Part one-Currahee Part TWO DAYS OF DAYS and so on The other Thing I have the conplete set of Thunderbirds and they are named as Disc one etc each one has four episodes how do I go about that I see that your blackadder you have named each once again thanks for the help This is the other way I have been told to do it

Folder: Blue Planet
    Subfolder: Blue Planet S1
    Subfolder: Blue Planet S1 E1 (2002)
    Filename: Blue Planet S1 E1 (2002).mkv
    Series 1:
    /Blue Planet/Blue Planet S1/Blue Planet S1 E1 (2002)/Blue Planet S1 E1 (2002).mkv
    /Blue Planet/Blue Planet S1/Blue Planet S1 E2 (2002)/Blue Planet S1 E2 (2002).mkv
    /Blue Planet/Blue Planet S1/Blue Planet S1 E3 (2002)/Blue Planet S1 E3 (2002).mkv
    Then for series 2:
    /Blue Planet/Blue Planet S2/Blue Planet S2 E1 (2002)/Blue Planet S2 E1 (2002).mkv
    /Blue Planet/Blue Planet S2/Blue Planet S2 E2 (2002)/Blue Planet S2 E2 (2002).mkv
    By the way I Only tick the highest Gb when watching a film because I do not want the extras I just want to go straight into the film nothing else that is right is it? Now on my Film side I have a file called Movies when open you see this Lis There are a lot of Laurel & Hardy Films should I leave it like that or do a other folder Marked Laurel & hardy with there list of films I apologise If I have asked you this before Next I think I might of asked you this before sorry I am touching 70 and sometimes I forget things and this media player and files thingy is very hard for me to understand when computers in my day just were not born then and the only thing I had was rough book and watch out for My House Master hitting me with the blackboard Rubber he did not even to turn round round to know what to hit ( Must of been a Sniper during the war) I found Latin so much easier :D

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  21. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,156
    Yeah that structure arrangement for the Blue Planet you list above just looks overly complex.

I don't really see the logic in doing that, the point of MakeMKV is to get the video out of the disc structure, you can just dump everything into one folder.
    Top Folder: TV
    Sub Folder: Blue Planet (2002)
    Files:
    S01E01 - Ocean World
    S01E02 - The Deep
    S01E03 - Open Ocean
    S01E04 - Frozen Seas
    S01E05 - Seasonal Seas
    S01E06 - Coral Seas
    S01E07 - Tidal Seas
    S01E08 - Coasts
    S01E09 - Deep Trouble
    S01E10 - Making Waves
    S02E01 - One Ocean
    and so on for S02 you get the idea.

Nice and easy, just a clear list of the episodes.

Do the same for Band of Brothers, all the episodes details are on IMDB, type anything into the search bar at the top of IMDB and it will list the movie or TV show.

Top Folder: TV
    Sub Folder: Band of Brothers (2001)
    Files:
    S01E01 - Currahee
    and so on.

In general yes, MakeMKV reads the disc for video streams, the largest ones for movie discs tend to be the main feature.

For the Laurel and Hardy movies name them like so
    Top Folder: Movies
    Files:
    Laurel and Hardy - Pack Up Your Troubles (1932)
    Laurel and Hardy - Saps at Sea (1940)
    Any other movies you want to put into the Movies folder.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  22. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    I thank you very much Next for giving up your time to sort this all out for a idiot like me who has come late into this thing hoping this is the easy way to do things :D:rotfl::confused: It has taken me a long time to understand all this media player,Hard Drive and sorting this out. And without your great help to make it look simple I would have given up long ago. i will also like others for there great help as well. But you Next I do not know what I would do without your help and you giving up so much time to help me. Lets hope this is the last time I have to contact you about this sodding thing :D:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :lesson:Thanks Mate

23. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    :(:( Sorry to bother you again next I done a experiment so not to confuse my Egreat Media player So I only copied one disc the list that you gave the first 4 Episodes I got no poster Nothing at all see pictures I am at a lost what to do I thought this was the easy partHope you can help me to solve this Thanks Eric

Attached Files:

24. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,156
    I'm not familiar with the Egreat player, it must have it's own way of scanning the media to download artwork and posters.

Try naming the first episode like this and see if it scans it
    Blue.Planet.S01E01.Ocean.World

25. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    OK Next Will let you how I get on

26. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,156
    Just been looking a bit more and The Blue Planet is actually under movie category and not TV category in some online databases.

You may have to name it as The.Blue.Planet.S01E01.Oceans.World as The Blue Planet and Blue Planet are different in online databases which the egreat probably looks up.

It's not really the best title to work with as its very unusual, maybe focus on Band of Brothers first to get familiar with ripping TV episodes.

27. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Arh Right Next Egreat uses The IMB to find Titles I have manged to do what you said I have one TV Series that also show the episodes but I have two versions of each episodes. it also gave me two covers on the film dept one says 3 the other is two so what do i do here. On IMB this what I did They call it a mini TVs The Blue Planet - Season 1 - IMDb

28. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,156
    If you mean the egreat is coming up with multiple versions of each episode that is because the The Blue Planet is a bad title to be starting out with, it has multiple conflicting entries in online databases.

Okay the best way to solve this is to use a dedicated tool which will auto rename files to make them compatible with the online database the player looks at for info/artwork.

The tool I recommend is called Filebot.

So here in the first image you can see the main screen, click on the load button to bring up the folder browser.
    tv01.PNG

Now select select the videos from The Blue Planet (2002) folder.
    tv02.PNG

Now you will see the videos loaded in on the left hand column, press the match button and it will bring up the menu see below, specifically for Blue Planet select under "Episodes Mode" TheMovieDB as that has the correct listing, others do not.
    tv03.png

Now it will bring up it's list of closest matches, select The Blue Planet.
    tv04.PNG

Now back at the main screen it shows a preview of what each episode will be renamed as, once you click on the rename button it will do it and clear the screen.
    tv05.PNG

You can use Filebot on anything TV show episodes, movies etc, it does try to guess based on what you have named as the file and the folder holding the media.

I'm guessing the egreat box uses Kodi underneath so it should correctly read the files Filebot names them as.

29. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Thank you for That Next But I do not use Kodi but Egreats own Finder which Uses that System That everybody tell you to use Do you know what to do to delete copies of Episodes as I have two of each one at the moment. Thanks you for all the effort you have been doing for me. Can I still use this if I do not use Kodi

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  30. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Have gone though what you said But I got this I Need a Licence key next is there a way round this

Attached Files:

• FB.png
      FB.png
      Size:
      1.6 MB
      Views: