Using the Panasonic E50 with freeview boxes

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sirjohnofbalham, Sep 22, 2003.

1. sirjohnofbalham

sirjohnofbalham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In order to record a programme from a freeview box to a Panny E50, is it necessary for the box and the Panny to be programmed separately or is there a box available which will the switch the Panny on and off automatically?

2. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,859
    I just got a E50 and a Philips DTR 1500 freeview.

I have the freeiew box on RGB and put the scart in AV2 on the Panny. The Av2 has to be set to RGB in.

I can record programmes just by pressing record on Av2. There is a timer in the Panny. You can leave the freeview on the channel you want and then program then Panny to reccord from AV2.

The Philips also has a timer and can be used when you want to record different digital channels. There is a button on the Panny called external link which will link to a external recording timer device. You set the timer on the freeview then press the external link button.

I cannot get it to work as the Panny goes straight into record mode, rather than waiting for the program to start.

3. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Normally with external link you have to program the freeview/sky box and then switch it off (to standby). The timer will then switch the box on and in doing so will start the recorder, then when the program ends it will switch the box off and stop the recorder. Works fine with Sky (and the autoview feature) - if only the EPG was a little more acurate!

Rob.

4. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,859
    I try that thanks. Ther manual isn't that good for the Philips.

5. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,859
    Iam still having problems with the timer.

I set the timer on the Philips and put it on standby. The E50 is on ext link 1. It goes on to record two minutes too late and the philips doesn't switch off at the end.

Would ext link 2 be better?

6. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    My GDT 2000 Freeview box has STB Control and works fine with my E50 Ext Link.

7. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    When you say it starts recording 2 mins late - do you mean this is due to the amount of time it takes to establish that it has a DVD-RAM disc in the drive (on power up) before you can record (or do anything for that matter?) or for some other reason?

Rob.

8. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,859
    Both the freeview box and the Panny shows the same time. The freeview timer starts on time but the Panny waits a further 2 minutes before recording (shown by the clock).

The Panny already recognised the RAM disc and is waiting on the standby with ext link showing in the display.

Anyway, now the digibox is not turning on when the timer should start. I have the same settings as before.

I noticed there is two recording modes - easy recording and record link.

I can use the Panny's timer when only I want to record from one digital channel and leave the digibox on (like stargate at 3am !!).