1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using the Mac mini with Sky to make a PVR

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Monkeey, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Monkeey

Monkeey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Evening chaps/chapesses,
    I've only really just entered the world of AV via the wonderful medium of the Mac mini.
    I was hoping for some guidance from you folk.

I'm looking to use the Mac mini as a PVR and have been looking around for solutions. At first I thought about talking the signal from my Sky box via SCART and a Analogue to Digital converter to firewire and saving to disk, but the file sizes are going to be too huge in reality.

I've been looking at the Elgato boxes. the EyeTV 200, which does MPEG1, MPEG2 and MPEG4 - pretty neat. And they also do the EyeTV 310 which has a satellite tuner built in but no MPEG 4.
    Does anyone know (as I'm a relative newcomer to Sky too) whether I could stick my viewing card in and the aerial and get my full Sky subscription via it?

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, I've not found anything conclusive yet!

Chris

2. Monkeey

Monkeey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry guys should have read the Elgato FAQs before posting. The EyeTV 310 doesn't support Sky which is a shame as it looks pretty tidy (better than the Sky supplied Amstrad box!). Has anyone used the EyeTV 200?

3. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Haven't used a 200, but I do use a EyeTV 410 as a freeview pvr on my Mac mini. It's pretty slick, the remote works well, the tvtv.co.uk integration is sweet, and playback was much better than I was expecting (based on having played back mpg's captured on a PC freeview card).

So, not directly useful, but it suggests Elgato are on the right track : ;)

Cheers, Carl.