1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using the 'free' Sony cinema filter. Help!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Bristol Pete, May 26, 2003.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Hi,

Got a free screw on filter with my HS2.

Not quite sure what it does.

From what I can ascertain, the filter will improve contrast and black level at the expense of light output in a 'lit room':confused:

As my room is dark is it something I need to use? To me, it seems to add a purple hint to proceedings.

I would like a clear explination as to what this type of filter is for, if there are any other Sony users out there, HS2, HS10 or otherwise.

Thanks,

Captain Benefit.

2. vulkan75

vulkan75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi cap.The filter does indeed give a beter contrast level,but not as good as some you can buy.

With regard to the tinge of color that it gives, you can compensate in the factory menu(hs10 anyway).

I'd say that if you watch a lot of dark films its essensial(pitch black,panic room etc)

With my hs10 I personally dont use it,I find colours richer and the black level acceptable.

However my machine hasn't been calibrated like others have on here,
    | think kramer swears by it with a ccr40(think thats right) filter,when its set up right.
    so I say its personal choice, try watching a few movies with and without see which you prefer.Also get your other half or friend to throw in their ten pence worth,a non critical eye can be helpful...

regards alex

:smashin:

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Assuming it's like the supplied HS10 filter, it's a CC10M (possibly R).

Basically reduces some of the blue & green light getting through. Shouldn't need too much adjusting to get a good colour balance & is designed to improve contrast & deepen black.

Up to you (obviously) if you prefer the pic with/without it.

Have a look at my HS10 thread for some more details of CC40R v supplied filter on the HS10.

:)