Using the free Napster on my Dell laptop

mrgrieves4

Standard Member
Reaction score
My new Dell lapop comes with a year's free Napster (or so it says on the invoice) but I can't for the life of me figure out how to activate it. I've done a search in the start bar for napster but nothing comes up. I've looked through the manuals (provided + online) and searched the Dell website but nothing seems to come up. I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious, but does anyone know what I'm supposed to do ?? I'm sure I'm missing something obvious. That's usually the case! :)

Where did you purchase it from? Dell direct?
If there is not a code or something on the invoice perhaps you might wish to contact where you purchased the laptop and ask them if the deal was provided by them or Dell (unless you purchased from Dell direct).

Turns out I *was* doing something a bit silly... there's a "free year of music from Dell" icon on my Desktop - I just missed it because it didn't say Napster.

It doesn't work, mind you...

The link has a code on the end but when I go to it, it redirects to free.napster.com and doesn't recognise it. I've tried changing the www.napter to free.napster but that doesn't work,nor does changing to napster.co.uk. Taking the code and entering it in just takes me to the napster home page too.

Looks like a Napster fault. They don't make it easy to contact them but I finally found the link so hopefully they can help.

Well after bother Dell and Napster refusing to help me via email (which is really annoying!) I ended up having an hour long call with Napster the other day.

Firstly, their web site really doesn't work. It wouldn't let me register or enter codes - it just took me to the home page each time. So the support guy told me to download the app, which I did - but it was in German. He said my version of Windows must be German (er... it's clearly not). Anyway I managed to download the UK version via some other link he gave me but it doesn't work. I think the Germany thing was their code to detect where an IP is from making a bit of a cock-up after not knowing where the Isle of Man is.

And finally the guy told me that the service is not offered to the Isle of Man and that there was nothing he could do. Now my Dell invoice is addressed to an Isle of Man address and clearly states a free trial, so I'm thinking I've got another long painful call to Dell to endure. :(

I'm not very happy to be honest, but I guess there's not a lot I can do about it...??

(And it was particularly annoying when he forced me to go through a survey at the end of the phone call - but it didn't work either!!! I guess maybe it only works if I give them 5/5 for everything. Grr.)

hi i got a dell netbook and the free music icon was on my desktop and i just clicked on it signed up and the code was already filled in

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom