Using the DVI slot on the Philips P9986 LCD?

Discussion in 'Philips TVs Forum' started by LCD User, Sep 11, 2005.

Tags:
  1. LCD User

LCD User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am trying to use the DVI to VGA convertor and then hook a VGA to component connection to my Denon amp and only seem to get a blue screen in DVI-1 channel. I have tried taking the component cables out of the amp and connecting through the DVD player. The DVD player is set to component out setting but still I only get a blue screen on the DV-1 channel on the LCD.
    I also have a freeview connected Scart to Compnent into the amp and i can get sound but still no picture. I think the problem lies with the DVI- VGA convertor or the VGA to component cable or am i missing something really stupid on the TV? :lease:

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    I'm not sure about the first problem.

But for the Freeview, SCART to Component is not going to work because as far as I know, only one Freeview decoder (the NetGem I-Player from memory) outputs Component signals. Most Freeview decoders output RGB video from the SCART socket. You should plug the Freeview decoder directly into a SCART socket on your TV with a SCART-to-SCART cable. If you must plug it in through the amp though, you could look in the menu of the decoder and see if there's an option for changing the video output to S-Video, aka Y/C and use a SCART-to-SVideo cable to connect to the amp.

3. LCD User

LCD User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks,

It seems the dealer at first thought I had component connections on the PF9986 then I thought DVI to VGA to component would at least get a picture with the DVD plugged directly, know you tell me the Thomson freeview box will not send a signal on a SCART to component lead. I only have a digital audio out slot on the freeview, I have bought the denon 1906 AV amp so I can play TV/Movies and CD's through the 5.1 system I have and it looks like none of this is going to happen. Can you suggest a solution?

Cheers John

4. LCD User

LCD User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    also I thought that plugging the 3 component leads from the DVI -VGA cable would allow me to view DVD's? This doesn't seem to work either

5. LCD User

LCD User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if the DVI is just plug and play as I've also tried to hook up my PC through the DVI- VGA adaptor and lead and I still get nothing on the screen but the blue background?
    Both the adaptor and the lead have been tested on other gear and are working.

6. Phill_1981

Phill_1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I think the component signal must be progressive.

7. LCD User

LCD User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not sure what you mean Phil. How can I remedy it?

8. MarkNorton1

MarkNorton1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Ive got the same set and run my samsung hd950 through the DVI adapter from the HDMI out, never had a problem, you may have an older software version on your set which I think didnt allow componant through DVI and it needed updating to do so? I could be wrong, Jimsan might offer better assistance with this one? mine came as version 1.5, and you need that or higher to run what you want i belive, if you search this forum you should find out how to get your software version as I cant remember now?

9. Phill_1981

Phill_1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I *think* this is correct, someone correct me if I'm wrong...

If your TV is software version 2.0 or higher (anything below that won't work), then any signal that goes into the DVI socket must be a progressive signal, so if your DVD player has the option to output 'progressive scan' then switch it on!

Freeview probably won't have this, so therefore will need to have a quality RGB scart lead.

10. LCD User

LCD User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Phil,

How do I tell what version of software the Philips 9986 is running and if not 2.0 or more where do i get the link to burn the upgrade?

11. Phill_1981

Phill_1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    There is a combination of button presses on the remote to get the software version up, but I can't remember it! Someone else will tell you... You will need to send your TV off for an upgrade, known to take upto a month I think!

Anyway, here is a quick diagram of the connection of my setup:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. LCD User

LCD User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Phil, I was thinking this is how I'd have to set it up with scart to freeview and DVI-VGA convertor to DVD. I just have to find out where and who to contact to get an upgrade and how to find the software version through the remote to check.

anyone?

13. LCD User

LCD User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SW version is TX 21 EU -1.3 06921

I take this requires an upgrade from 1.3

Will this allow DVI connection trhough VGA adaptor to Component?

What does the SW update actually do? Who do I contact? Philips direct?

14. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That version does not do component.
    You need to have it upgraded by Philips.
    There is no way to know what those updates actually do, Philips do not release information on that.

15. LCD User

LCD User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, Thanks for all your help.

I am having the panel uplifted by Touch Logistics and taken to Nova Shore the Philips LCD people (in Bolton I presume?). I'm off on Holiday on Friday, so, hopefully on my return first week of Oct I'll have the Screen back up on the wall and be able to play my DVD player through the DVI adaptor using the VGA Component.
    Lookd like the Freeview can only deliver RGB output, so SCART to component to the amp is a non starter. Will have to hook a coaxil to the audio out on Freeview to the AMP and use SCART to SCART on the Freeview to LCD. In fact a dead ringer for Phil's set up above. Nice one Phil!
    I'm still ****** off that the Hi fi dealer I bought my amp and M cubes from did not look at my instruction manuals in more detail to check on connectivity. Feel a bit fobbed off. Thanks AV Forums!

16. LCD User

LCD User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a thought on Phil's set up. If I wanted to action the on screen menu on the Denon 1906 or any other amp for that matter would a better set up not be:

Freeview to AMP using Scart out to 3 RCA (1 composite video, 2 L+R audio)

AMP to TV using 1 RCA composite Monitor out to Scart

DVD component to DVI using VGA to component cable
    DVD to AMP using digital coaxil cable

Muse.....

17. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have just replied to your PM, but it seems like you have got all your answers now!

Good luck with the upgrade!

Jimmy