1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using the Denon AVR-3802 with the FS2AV: Whats the best set-up?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by tk2001, Apr 23, 2002.

1. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I have just recently received my AVR-3802 and I am still experimenting with the speaker settings for my fs2 speakers to try and obtain the perfect sound for DVD movies and here are my results: - I have used 'The Gladiator' as the reference film and is played via the DTS soundtrack with 'chapter 2' repeated over and over again.

With the main front 2 , center & rear surround speakers set to 'small', I have noticed good clean, sharp image with decent bass but slightly lacking in 'punch'.

However with the main front 2 , center & rear surround speakers set to 'large' (just as instructed my the manual) with 'LFE & Main', I have noticed good clean, sharp image but this time with 'fuller' bass' and a noticably increase in 'punch'.

If I set the subwoofer cross-over to 120khz instead the default setting (80khz) the low bass frequencies become more fuller offering even more 'punch' than before - chapter 2 from 'The Gladiator' sounded much better IMO with the fuller bass and allot more punch than having the speakers set to small.

For people who also own the same amp & speakers as me, what are your prefered settings and what do you think of my brief analysis?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

2. Army Bloke2

Army Bloke2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds to me as though you need a new set of speakers. With Dipole surrounds.;)

3. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I thought that the Sub handled the crossover for the FS2-AV speaker set because it needs to be something like 275hz?

4. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the manual does recommend large, lfe+main and 80khz... though I can't remember if there was any mention about amps with variable crossover.

the sub is meant to work out the crossover itself.. so I wouldn't have expected this to make any difference... surely one of thetwo dials on the sub would've had exactly the same effect?

5. billduff

billduff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You only get the crossover menu option if some speakers are set to small.

Set all the speakers to large and the option disappears from the menu, so you dont need to worry about the crossover.

All speakers should be running from the Sub and the sub cabled to the Amp.

I had the same questions when I was setting mine up and it now works a treat.

6. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    When I have ALL my speakers set to LARGE on my 3802, I am still given the choice of cross-over frequencies between 80khz, 100khz & 120khz - I can verify that this happens all the time regardless of the speaker size settting.

Having the cross-over at 120khz DOES noticably increase the fullness of the bass in music and especially the 'punch' in DD & DTS soundtracks.

7. billduff

billduff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe we have different versions of Firmware or something but mine definatly goes. I had a small thread about 6 weeks ago in the Amp section about this and 'AndyK' pointed out that it disappears on his.

Not saying your wrong, just it disappears from the menu on mine and reappears if I have any speaker (includer SB) on small.

I have my SB set to NONE to avoid confusion, but when I first set it up I didn't change the SB size (as they are on the next screen and I didn't see them) and it was there.

Once I set then to None (or off) then the crossover freq. option disappeared.

8. richie44

richie44

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On my 2802,the crossover setting stays in the menu,regardless of the speakers set to large or small