Using the AVR as a Preamp

Octa

Novice Member
I am currently using an old Yamaha RX-V765 to drive a Mythos SSA-50 5.1 sound bar and a Prosub 100.
Will it add anything to the sound dynamics if I add my old Rotel RMB-1075 to the yammi's pre-amp out?
An opinion would help before I dig out in the basement for the amp.

KenM10759

If your RX-765 does have pre-outs, it would boost available power to your soundbar by adding the Rotel...and be a huge waste.

Sorry, but no soundbar is ever going to take advantage of the capabilities of that Rotel, I don't care how good the soundbar claims to be. You really should get actual loudspeakers!

Octa

Novice Member
The Mythos SSA-50 is actually a 5.1 loud speaker.
I am also using 2 Def. Techs BP2002s for music.
The Rotel would power the 2 Frts and the central channel on the SSA-50 and the 2 BP2002 for music and the RX-765 would power the rear surrounds for the SSA-50.

KenM10759

Sorry, you had said soundbar...two COMPLETELY different things.

EDIT:

I just looked it up...and it is a soundbar. I don't know how they can define a long soundbar as being 5.1 because unless that thing can wrap around your head to get sound coming from the sides or back, it's not ever going to be traditional 5.1 surround.

Your plan is fine other than that you should try to find room for true rear surround speakers.

Last edited:

Octa

Novice Member
I have no room for rear speakers (until I finish the basement at least)
This soundbar is the best compromise I found - and I am amazed of the sound coming out of it.
Of course - the surround will never come from the back but it has an excellent separation and it fills up the room ( a biiig room).
Anyways - I was trying to find out if the rotel will add some dynamics to the sound (I know it has more power) - everywhere I read that the separates are better and using the avr as a prepro is a good compromise.

gazy

I am currently using an old Yamaha RX-V765 to drive a Mythos SSA-50 5.1 sound bar and a Prosub 100.
Will it add anything to the sound dynamics if I add my old Rotel RMB-1075 to the yammi's pre-amp out?
An opinion would help before I dig out in the basement for the amp.

Hi.. sorry for the old thread bump, but I haver this same amp. And I was wondering if you ever got around to getting some decent speakers for it?

No offence, but I don't understand why this fantastic amp is driving a soundbar?

I have my yamaha 765 connected to a pair of pioneer CS-7030 front speakers , they are about 28" x 14" inches in size. 190 watts DIN (nominal) power handling each and I will assure you that this amp and these speakers will be 1000% better than any soundbar ever made.

I also have the sub preout on the amp connected to a KENWOOD KA-1060 AMP and that is driving a 15" inch 250 Watt RMS rated subwoofer.

I also have some smaller sony speakers from an old 5.1 system connected to the center/rear sides/rear backs and this set up sounds fantastic. I wish I could show you how good this is.

The best advice I can give you is, sell that soundbar right away and buy some decent loud speakers for your yamaha. The difference in power and quality will be like night and day.

Me and the GF were watching 'THE WATCH' the other night , and in one of the secnes, the bass just went BOOM!! and we both felt it like a tree had just fallen down outside the house.

You will NEVER get THAT from any soundbar. :)

excuse the dust lol

20160415_235953-jpg.703934

Attachments

• 20160415_235953.jpg
    20160415_235953.jpg
    741.9 KB · Views: 168

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom