1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using the ATI Radeon All in Wonder 8500DV - Sharing Experiances

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by csayers, Mar 20, 2003.

1. csayers

Standard Member

Mar 13, 2002
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    London, UK
    I along with many others of you (I guess) are using an 8500DV AIW in my HTPC.

Thought that I would Start a thread to share my experiances and get some advice from others at the same time.

1. Cooling
    That Fan is noisy as hell! At first I ordered one of the Zalmann Heatpipe Coolers - THESE DO NOT FIT! they need holes through the PCB around the processor which the AIW's do not have.

Instead I sent it back and got one of the older radiator fin type Zalmann coolers - this fits and works a treat and i have (touch wood) not had any problems with heat at all.

2. SPDIF Output
    The SPDIF is only supported for DVD Audio Output - you cannot pipe all you windows sound out digitally.

Only certain DVD codecs/players support the SPDIF port on the card. The main one (obviously) being the ATI codec.

ATI actually have 2 codecs - they have recently changed their software supplier.

The original ATI DVD player (MMC and older - and that which comes on CD with the 8500DV) includes a cinemaster codec - this works with the SPDIF out.

Newer ATI cards (9000 series onwards) come with

DVD Player AIW SPDIF Support Summary

ATI MMC 7.7 Supported
    ATI MMC 8.1 Unknown (Should Support)
    WinDVD 3 Unsupported
    Sonic CinePlayer Unknown
    Nvida DVD Unknown
    TheatreTek Unknown
    PowerDVD Unknown

Will edit and update later.