Using the Android OS on XE90/93 models....Good or Bad experiences??

Tonewheelkev

Established Member
Reaction score
Slowly circling round to the right 65" 9005 or 9305 (UK)...and aware of many of the comments relating to Android OS...! These relate to speed (changing channels/using menus) and freezing altogether, requiring rebooting of set.....along with some comments on slow boot speed?
Also, some comments on adverse effects of 'updating' on-line!

What are members findings on this subject....and what can be done to avoid/take control?
Would it help, perhaps, to use an external 'box' for live TV?

.....or isn't there any real problem here??

Discuss!!.. :)

No real problem for me....... I use Sky Q for all TV. The menus may be a bit slow but I hardly ever use them and have only rebooted a couple of times. Updates have been fine and I have never had a freeze. I am very happy with my choice of XE93 and would buy it again (albeit I would buy 65", as I cannot afford ZD9).

My own personal findings are that since I stopped using YouView for tuner duties (I now use an external Freesat PVR), the performance of Android TV is fine. Apps load quickly and it’s quite responsive.
Even when using YouView, I never found it unstable and in the two months I’ve owned my 65XE9305 it’s never once locked up or rebooted itself.

I'd love to hear some more reports, as negative feedback about the OS is the only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger on a 49/55" XE9005...!

I've had the 930e for a couple of weeks now and I've found Android TV to be perfectly fine. The only minor annoyance I have is that some apps dont support HDR (Like Youtube) which is shocking for a TV built around the brilliance of it.

Full access to the Play store is also another boost. I downloaded VLC Player from the store which so far, has played literally everything I've thrown at it in terms of media perfectly.

Also, believe it or not, the TV works perfectly well with some of the more...shall I say...gry area apps like Emulators etc. And they are absolutely flawless! So if you want to play all your old games on this TV, ncluding things like Playstation etc, your good to go out of the box.

Only other apps I've tried so far are Netflix (perfectly fine) Amazon Prime Video (I do get some stutters in 4K HDR streaming, but I'm going to put that down to my internet connection not being the best).

Overall, its been great so far.

Norman responded earlier that YouView was to be avoided......
...Are the XE90 and XE93 series stuck with YouView forever, or is there any chance that Sony might see fit to offer a better alternative in a future update??

I have both Samba and YouView disabled, don't use them since I prefer USB recordings and YouView has to be disabled for that, the Android OS in my experience is very stable, not had a single crash, speed wise far from the fastest out there(average I would say) but not as bad as some make out.

One reason I wanted an Android OS was for Kodi, I gave my old Kodi box to my mum.
Kodi works great on this Android OS TV.

Last edited:
Plus one, Kodi runs very well. Mine has been reliable and fast enough in the short time I have owned it. I suspect a lesser cpu would make the experience pretty miserable though. I use youtube daily from the actual tv now rather than casting and it work superbly. I dont watch enough broadcast tv to comment on youview, but I prefer the program guide on my older sony tv. I can disable youview but then I gather I loose itvhub & 4od but gain usb recording. TBH I would rather they all worked together than this hotchpotch of a compromise.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom