1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using TFT a monitor and PC to get quality TV Pics

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by barrpeople, Nov 26, 2003.

1. barrpeople

barrpeople
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Urgent help required please.

I have a 1280x1024/DVI driven TFT monitor and want to use this to display quality digitally received broadcast terrestrial TV from a PC. What I am unsure about is the following:

1. How is picture interlacing handled, is this removed in tuner card? or does it matter?

2. I want to use the monitors natural resolution of 1280x1024. My current graphics adapter handles this resolution with 16ppp colours and 75Hz refresh. All working fine in this mode. Can TV pictures be displayed at this resolution?

3. The TFT monitor also has analogue and S-video inputs available but I would rather use DVI for quality, is this the best choice?

4. What would be the best choice, a PCI internal card, if so how can it be remotely controlled? or a table top digi decoder like Hauppague ?.

Any help or pointer to a good "how to" site would be appreciated.

Regards

Dave Barr

2. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A simple method of doing it is to get a TV Card that has an S-Video output and hook that up to Sky+ (with digiboxes that don't have a S-Vid use a Scart --> S-Vid cable). Then you need a program called Dscaler which is free, that will deinterlace the feed and give quality pictures. Dscaler has numerous viewing options and one of them is the ability to use the PCs resolution for playback so this might be of use to you.

3. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Or you could get a digital terrestrial tuner card or usb, such as nebula digitv, that would give you an even better PQ as it captures the digital data strait into the pc. You'll be limited with the channels that's on digital terrestrial though.

4. barrpeople

barrpeople
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys for the reply, both ideas have merit.

The free to view channels is all I require so the digital PCI card option is more in line with what I want to do. I still have a problem with interlacing if I go in that direction and wonder if Dscaler will do that job for me because I am not sure if the DigiTV card can handle it.

Any ideas on this thought

Regards

Dave

5. Pootle

Pootle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    A card such as the nebula passes the scaling etc over to the video card to deal with. It will work fine at the resolution you quote, the only issue you are likely to have is that the deinterlacing in the nebula card isn't all that good (yet), but still much better than the stupid Hauppauge card. You will find that fast moving objects are far more blurred than on a conventional TV, how much of a problem you find this depends on what you watch and whether it actually bothers you.

If you go direct from digital TV card to screen, you cannot run dscaler as it only works from analogue capture cards, I fins the loss of quality from having analogue in the loop far worse than the blurry motion problem.

6. barrpeople

barrpeople
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Pootle

That seems to cover all the points, and your right, some blurring on fast frame action would be acceptable. I sort of wonder how FTP TV's manage, they seem to have pretty good picture quality. I was just trying to get similar quality using a PC and flat panel TFT using DVI interface.

7. fil

fil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Barrpeople,

I am looking for similar answers to questions like yours, can someone answer this one;

Are all signals, whether analogue or digital, interlaced?

You might want to check out the Sweetspot card if money's not an issue (c £200).

The other point you might want to consider is the response time of your tft. Apparently motion smear is an issue here. The very latest announced large lcd screens, such as the Samsung models are claiming a response time of less than 12ms. If your screen is a year or more old it may well have a response time of 24ms plus. check your tft specs from manufacturers website.

fil.

8. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Most standard definition digital television is transmitted in interlaced format. Motion blur on an LCD is not going to be a problem when watching TV - it only has to do 25 frames a second. Nebula say that the deinterlacing is much improved with the next version of their software out at the end of the month.

9. Pootle

Pootle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That's good news about the improved de-interlacing coming in the next nebula software version - just hope it doesn't eat too much more CPU, or I'm going to be spending more money on a new CPU!