Using "system audio control" on Sony w4500 TV?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Freefall123, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Freefall123

Freefall123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony 46W4500, a Sony DA2400ES receiver and I am using a logitech harmony remote to control them. The problem is when I want to switch from the TV's internal speakers and use the ones connected to the amp there is no direct way to sweith them off and on and i have to use 9 prerecorded signals with the harmony to switch between them.

My amps manual mentions " system audio control" where if you switch on the amp the TV's speakers will switch off and use the amps speakers and vice versa. There is no mention of this in the TV's manual. I tried switching on "control for HDMI" on both but when i choose scan on the TV it says no devices can be found.

I didnt know where to post this - in the av receivers, LCD TV's or Remote forums.

Freefall

2. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Have you tried just sending a TV Mute command to the TV when you switch to the activity that uses the amp rather than the TV speakers?

On some TV's this is no use as it leaves a mute icon on the TV screen. not usre about your TV.
    I had this problem so have just mapped one of the Harmony LCD buttons as TV volume minus in any activity that i use the amp for audio. Only takes a couple of seconds holding the button down to turn of TV volume.

3. Freefall123

Freefall123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately it shows the mute icon all the time. I was trying to automate it completely so went with options-down-down- select-down-select-return-return. A bit long winded. I suppose your solution ie DIY, is easier but I was just trying to use the harmony to the max. I just wish Sony had a descrete code for tv speakers off/on! I bought the TV and amp as both Sony in the hope that bravia sync would make my life easier but its just as easy using the Harmony to control them seperately.

Its strange how "system audi control" is mentioned in the amp manual but not the TV's. This alone might have made it worthwile switching on control for HDMI to avoid the long winded process I have now:confused:

Freefall

4. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,778
    Most TV's have a menu option for switching off the internal speakers - have you looked everywhere for that?:D

5. Freefall123

Freefall123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you mean by menu option a single button press then no I cant find one - I have to bring up options then navigate through them and switch between the two -amp/tv. Thats why I was hoping this system audio control thing might help. If anyone has a Sony LCD TV that has solved this problem please post.
    :lease:

Freefall

6. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,778
    Sorry - I hadn't read you properly - it was a series of menu commands that I was talking about but you've already tried that - by including them as Additional When Activity Starts?

7. Freefall123

Freefall123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, thats what I've done

Freefall

8. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Double check that the Mute icon definitely doesn't disappear.

Based on a suggestion from another thread yesterday i discovered that the Mute icon on my Panasonic Plasma disappears after about 2mins.

Just made my setup a whole lot easier :smashin:

9. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,778
    On some TVs there's a "clear" or "exit" button that removes the icon.

10. Freefall123

Freefall123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    logiciel

Thanks but cannot get it to clear

Uridium

Thanks but it just stays there.

THis $£$%£%$£%$ remote is driving me nuts. I have a sequence of 9 steps to switch from tv speakers toamp speakers and the reverse sequence to go back. For some reason the sequence isnt always followed and I end with both amp and TV speakers on or neither on. I have checked and rechecked and I have the correct steps in each activity. I guess the easiest option will be to always use the amp speakers and have the volume on the TV turned right down to zero.

Its just frustrating that the Harmony ( considering the cost) should let me have the choice between the two without so much bother.

Freefall

11. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,778
    Have you tried varying the Inter-Key Delay.
    Going back to this Sony system what did "I tried switching on "control for HDMI" on both but when i choose scan on the TV it says no devices can be found" mean? - what "scan" on the TV?

12. Freefall123

Freefall123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes - I enabled control by HDMI in both the tv and amp, in the TV settings you can choose to scan for devices that allow control by HDMI and it says none can be found. I think I would rather control them separately with the harmony as I think this Bravia sync is over-hyped, I was just clutching at straws trying to find a work around for this switching between speakers problem. I have given in and have set up my activities as all using the amp speakers with the TV speakers permanently switched off :(

Freefall

13. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,778
    OK Freefall - excellent decision - because it's exactly what I do.:thumbsup: