Using Straight DSP setting on Yamaha receiver, not getting surround audio.

Aidanhoover

Novice Member
Hello. I have a Yamaha RX-V385 receiver. When I set the DSP program to Straight and watch surround sound content on Netflix (via Chromecast), I get audio in the surround channels as expected. However, when watching a surround sound blu-ray, I don't get audio in the surround channels unless I switch the DSP setting to "Sur. Decode". The blu-ray audio is usually DTS-HD MA 5.1, which my disc player and receiver both support. Yet, I only get audio from the front speakers (unsure about the center speaker) when using the Straight setting. Is this how the setting is supposed to work, and if not, what's the issue? Thanks.

dante01

Distinguished Member
If engaging the STRAIGHT mode and then not getting anything more than 2 channel stereo then this is an indication that the source device is only outputting 2 channel stereo.

I'd suggest you look at the audio output and HDMI configurations onboard yourBlu-ray player The player is probably configured in a manner that results in multichannel sources being downmixed into just 2 channels?

Check what audio the AV receiver is actually getting by setting the front panel display to its SUR DECODER mode. Use the info key on the remote to do this. Is it actually showing DTS-HD MA when you use the player? If not then what does it say?

Aidanhoover

Novice Member
If engaging the STRAIGHT mode and then not getting anything more than 2 channel stereo then this is an indication that the source device is only outputting 2 channel stereo.

I'd suggest you look at the audio output and HDMI configurations onboard yourBlu-ray player The player is probably configured in a manner that results in multichannel sources being downmixed into just 2 channels?

Check what audio the AV receiver is actually getting by setting the front panel display to its SUR DECODER mode. Use the info key on the remote to do this. Is it actually showing DTS-HD MA when you use the player? If not then what does it say?
Thanks for the response. I checked my disc player's Digital Output settings. It had three settings: Auto, PCM, and DTS Re-Encode. I changed the setting from PCM to Auto, and now I'm getting surround audio, so I think I've fixed the problem. Thank you.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom