• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Using spikes and granite bases

Max Payne

Established Member
Don't currently use the spikes I received with my speakers, but while looking around the shed I came accross some left over granite - enough for my 4 floorstanders and it got me thinking of using the spikes.

Ive read that using spikes on something like granite will improve the sound. How much better will the performance be? Would it be worth cutting 4 bases from the granite? Or is it a myth?

I think you will find by using your spikes to raise your speakers off the floor you will eliminate any bass boom. Granite under your spiked speaker is an added bonus. A lot of people i know use paving slabs but I think you'll hear a vast improvement when you use the spikes:smashin:

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
It all depends on what floor you have. Spikes are good for carpet and a horror with parquet (use rubber feet). Granite is good if your floor vibrates when you move about (wooden floorboards), but essentially pointless if you have concrete.

Hence we need to ask what floor you have.

Jimholt

Established Member
Yes surprising what difference they make. I had spikes on top of my stands and i decided to remove them so i didn't mar the new speakers. So much more bass, although with a slight boom on certain instruments. I will get some granite under them as i have a suspended floor. It's certainly worth experimenting with stands to see what you can achieve.
A certain hi fi dealer who occasionally writes for magazines said to me recently, wood or solid floors make no difference to speakers. I don't agree there unless you tweek. Nice read here and at the bottom how to build a speaker stand to cut out vibration. http://www.hawkaudio.nl/tips.htm

Cable Monkey

Prominent Member
I gained significantly using spikes on a marble slab. This was despite having a concrete floor beneath my carpet. The main reason is tightly woven carpet on top of underlay which prevented a quality contact between spikes and the floor beneath.

Max Payne

Established Member
Thanks for the replies all.

I have a carpeted room, but the room is not on concrete as it is in a loft style area. The floor is actually inch ply, so judging what people are saying I should indeed get an increased performance?

I have another question though, if I put the spikes onto the marble "plates", will they not keep sliding off? Will the sound/vibration move them as they will be unsteady? Or do people make a bit of a dent on the marble bass to hold them in place?

Jimholt

Established Member
Probably would be a good idea to put an indent in the granite but dont hit it with a hammer and sharp instrument as you will more than likely crack it. You could try a masonary bit with a masking tape patch where you want the ident so the drill doesn't slip. If that dont make any impression a diamond tip drill maybe needed.

VoodooDoctor

Established Member
My living room is on the middle floor of a 3-storey house. I have a suspended wooden floor. I found that my Monopulse 32A's, which have a downward firing bass port, were boomy. I bought a couple of those Tesco's Finest granite chopping boards and stood the speakers on spikes on them. Worked a treat and tightened up the sound nicely.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
You should use the spikes. Whether granite will help is unclear (how vibration-resistent is the wood floor?).

I put the spikes onto the marble "plates", will they not keep sliding off?
Normally it's either spikes or granite/marble + rubber feet, not both together. Even if you make an indentation, unless you get the depth and width perfectly matched, the unsteadiness will ruin everything.

Max Payne

Established Member
Thanks again for the comments lads.

You should use the spikes. Whether granite will help is unclear (how vibration-resistent is the wood floor?).

Normally it's either spikes or granite/marble + rubber feet, not both together. Even if you make an indentation, unless you get the depth and width perfectly matched, the unsteadiness will ruin everything.

Now Im ensure again now. Depending on how much it costs I will see whether its worth the hassle.

Edit: By "costs", I mean how much to professionally cut the granite.

hifisponge

Established Member
I'm with Mark on this one. Spikes into the carpet or granite with rubber feet, but not spikes on granite. The whole idea is to isolate the speaker from a flexible floor, which spikes will or granite will both do in different ways.

Max Payne

Established Member
Thanks hifisponge

So should I then not use the spikes, but put the speaker onto the granite instead?

This will raise them from the flexible floor?

I suppose, I am really looking to raise the speakers from the floor, without damaging the carpet. I initially tried one set on one of the speakers and they made a little mess of the carpet in the corner (of which I hope the wife doesn't see)

So speaker on marble and leave the spikes in the box?

rjw

Established Member
I bought a couple of those Tesco's Finest granite chopping boards and stood the speakers on spikes on them. Worked a treat and tightened up the sound nicely.

I've just done the same with a couple of Argos granite boards, best £20 I've spent in a long time.

per-Sony-fied

Established Member
I have a carpeted room, but the room is not on concrete as it is in a loft style area. The floor is actually inch ply, so judging what people are saying I should indeed get an increased performance?

If you can get away with it :rolleyes: a cheap alternative is the use of 4 wood screws placed where your speaker spikes would go.
I have another question though, if I put the spikes onto the marble "plates", will they not keep sliding off?

The weight of the speakers should stop them moving & provide small but significant indentations provided the spikes are ALL securely adjusted for even weight distribution. There'll still be susceptible to being knocked but wont move around on thier own.
I've got mine on some marble bread boards for experimentation purposes (thin concrete floor) & have not moved from them in the year (experimentation :eek:) they have been there. I might add I feel I prefer them on the carpeted floor but might try some granite slabs.

Jimholt

Established Member
Thanks again for the comments lads.

Now Im ensure again now. Depending on how much it costs I will see whether its worth the hassle.

Edit: By "costs", I mean how much to professionally cut the granite.

Best thing to do is experiment. Try the spikes on the granite and then without and see if there is an improvement either way.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
So speaker on marble and leave the spikes in the box?
Since you don't like the effect spikes have on the carpet: yes, with rubber feet on the speaker.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom