• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Using speakers with a different ohm rating

holtyuk

Standard Member
Hi,

I'm looing to get a couple of KEF in-ceiling speakers to replace my current rear surrounds. The ones I'm looking at (Ci 100QR) are rated at 4 ohms while the rest of my speakers are 8 ohms.

Does that matter? I believe 8 ohms is pretty standard so I'm not sure if these are meant for specific stereo use rather than in a 5.1 system.

Cheers,
Simon

KUBBY

Prominent Member
Hi,

Just to give us a clue,What Amp are you using?
(My Onk 605 tells me to set the resistance setting to 4ohm if I have ANY one speaker at below 6)

K.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
The speakers relative to each other doesn't matter that much. For example, 8 ohm in front, 6 ohm in the rear, doesn't matter.

But the speaker impedance relative to the amp does matter. With a typical stereo amp, you should have no problem driving a 4 ohm load. However, some AV amps don't like load lower than 6 ohms. So, what you can do with your amp, depends on your amp and the speakers you are using with it.

If it is a 4-ohm stable amp, then no problem. Or, for rear speakers where the load is light, you might be able to get away with it, but again, it depends on your specific amp.

Steve/bluewizard

fenton92

Standard Member
Don't forget to calibrate the speaker levels. The 4 ohm will likely be louder than your 8 ohm speakers because your receiver is feeding it more power for the same voltage unless of course the 4 ohm speaker sensitivity is quite low. :smashin:

l!3ard

Established Member
Sorry to hijack this thread :)

Anyway, i hope someone can help me out...if i connect an amp (Yamaha RX-465 or 565) to speakers that are 8 ohms, will that be ok?

I believe both Yamaha is 6 ohms....

The speaker ratings are 80-100w @ 8 ohms

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom