Using Speakers for Both HiFi and AV

JohnV1066

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi All
Sorry if this has been discussed before as I couldn't find it, although my question is fairly specific:

I have an 'old' B&O Beomaster 5500, Beogram 5500 & a NAD CD player currently connected to a pair of low-end Mission Bookshelf speakers. I have just purchased a Monitor Bronze 6 pair of speakers along with the full Bronze surround system (including ceiling Atmos) to specifically use with my Onkyo TX-SR444 AV receiver.

As these are all in the same room I was wondering whether to:

a) Connect the Bronze 6 speakers to both amps via a speaker switch, in which case would I benefit from a separate sub-woofer between the B&O amp & speaker switch?
or
b) Just use the Onkyo amp (but which input to use for the turntable?)

Or maybe you have other suggestions?!

Cheers
John

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Hi JohnV1066, this is the amp switcher I bought to link both my Denon x3300 and Cambridge Audio 651 to my MA Bronze 6's. It's a smallish unit and sits on top of my CD player. Lyndahl Amp Speaker Selector Toggle Switch for 2 ALS11: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics I don't have an answer regarding the subwoofer cable, except my cable is wired into my Denon.

Nhoj

Thanks Nhoj, I have in fact got a switch but appreciate your time in replying. I guess I'll just have to try the various combinations out for myself!!!

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Hi John,I think you would need to use a spare audio input (the CD input would do) on the Onkyo for the turntable, and you would probably need a Phono pre-amp to boost the signal from the cartridge (Turntable).

If I remember correctly the Beogram used the principle of Moving Iron cartridge ,so, a Moving Magnet phone pre-amp should do the job.

all the best

Dean

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom