1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Skype with a wifi capable device

Discussion in 'General Tech & Gadget Forums' started by the_sanguine, Jul 28, 2005.

1. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,

I am thinking about upgrading my mobile phone to an XDA2s which is a pocket PC device with GSM/GPRS/WLAN capable device. I love the idea of skype but don't really want to leave my PC on all the time. I'm wondering if I downloaded skype s/w onto the XDA2s, would I then be able to use the built in microphone and speaker and use it to make and receive calls when at home?

Would it also then work when near WLAN hotspots?

2. Dominic

Dominic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    the_sanguine

thats what im doing on my ipaq 3715. I have the client installed, and use the mic and speaker on the ipaq, it works very well, infact you dont need to hold it to your ear like a phone, its good enough to just leave it on your lap, or table / arm of the chair. I use it at home/garden on my wlan, although i havent tried it on any other wlans, but so long as you have a connection when out and about there shouldnt be a problem.(BTopenzone etc)

Very good indeed, just need to convert the rest of my mates and family to skype and i will actualy have more than a couple of people to talk to.

Dom

3. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,878
    Dominic, thanks for that info. I have an 5550 iPaq and just downloaded the Pocket PC version of Skype as well, registered and it works a treat through my Netgear WLAN.
    I even tried using "skypeout" to call a UK landline and it works very well.
    Thanks to you and "the_sanguine" for planting the idea :smashin:

I had vaguely heard and read about Skype in PC mags and I knew there was a Pocket PC version available.......I just never got round to trying it.....glad I did. :hiya: