Using Sky+ without sub

dashforth

Standard Member
Reaction score
I got Sky+ free about 10 months ago provided I subscribe for 12 months. When I terminate and only get the free channels I understand that the Sky+ functionality on the STB will also stop. Is there any way I can continue to use it?

Subscribe to Sky TV (single mix starts at £17 per month) or pay £10 per month for the ability to record/pause the free channels. Either way, if you don't pay Sky anything, you lose Sky+ functionality.

what about the SkY freeview package at £25 per annum? would that let you use the sky+ box?

what about the SkY freeview package at £25 per annum? would that let you use the sky+ box?

No. The FreeSatfromSky card just gives you a few more extra channels than having no card at all.

As has been said before, if you do not subscribe to a Sky package, you will have to pay £10/mo for Sky+ capabilities.

What is the package at £25/year? :confused:
If you already have a subscription which you intend to cancel, the card then becomes a freesatfromsky card after cancellation.
If you didn't have a subscription of any type or a card, a freesatfromsky card costs £20 one-time payment

If I cannot use the Sky+ recording fucntionality am I free to sell the box and replace it with an ordinary Sky box and TiVo? That way I can avoid paying £10 per month.

Well Tivo costs £10 per month to use also - although they do let you make a one-off £200 payment which entitles you to record for free from then on.

Also, Sky+ does more than a standard Sky box plus hard drive recorder does. It lets you record two channels simultaneously - you would need two standard Sky boxes and two hard drive recorders to achieve that.

But, in answer to your question, the Sky+ box belongs to you, and therefore you can sell it (on ebay or elsewhere).

The point about two tuners is an important factor but then so is the lifetime sub to TiVO. It is a pity that Sky do not offer a lifetime option. A lot of the TiVos on eBay come with a lifetime sub at below the £200 mark so you get a recorder and sub for a very reasonable price.

Also, Sky+ It lets you record two channels simultaneously - .

mine doesnt, when two are trying to record at same time it comes up with a screen saying what one do you want to cancel as it cant record 2 at a time.
it CAN play one while recording another, maybe thats what your confusing it with?

mine doesnt, when two are trying to record at same time it comes up with a screen saying what one do you want to cancel as it cant record 2 at a time.
it CAN play one while recording another, maybe thats what your confusing it with?

Then maybe you should get your Sky+ box looked at instead of calling other forum members confused. If you connected both LNB inputs into your Sky box instead of only one you'd see that Sky+ can do what I said it can. With Sky+ you can record two channels simultaneously, or watch one channel (live) while recording another. Maybe that's what you're confused with?

FYI - I recorded both Hot Shots and The Witches Of Eastwick last night from two separate movie channels. They both started at 10 o'clock, and my box happily recorded the pair of them. But then, I have a working Sky box... :smashin:

You get that message on screen when trying to record 2 channels and watching a 3rd.

I have ordered skyHD and was planning on installing my old sky+ box in my bedroom myself as I already have a quad LNB. I already will be paying £10 extra a month for HD and didn't want to pay £10 extra for multiroom. I would be happy just getting the free channels.

So two questions.

1. Will I be able to record anything on the sky+ box
2. Will I need another card for this box. I just pulled the card out of my sky+ box and I seemed to get most of the free channels other than 5 is this correct?

If I can't record from sky+ will probably sell and get my old standard sky box out of the loft.

Thanks in advance

You get that message on screen when trying to record 2 channels and watching a 3rd.

I have ordered skyHD and was planning on installing my old sky+ box in my bedroom myself as I already have a quad LNB. I already will be paying £10 extra a month for HD and didn't want to pay £10 extra for multiroom. I would be happy just getting the free channels.

So two questions.

2. Will I need another card for this box. I just pulled the card out of my sky+ box and I seemed to get most of the free channels other than 5 is this correct?

If I can't record from sky+ will probably sell and get my old standard sky box out of the loft.

Thanks in advance

No Sky+ facilities without a subscription (and viewing card) for the box - multiroom £10 is cheapest (and best) option if paying a sub.

Think i will try using a scart sender instead then. Many thanks

So two questions.

Thanks in advance

I did this too but my sky+ box has lost all the FTV cannels BBC, ITV etc. and radio too. The only way to get it back is to take my card which is now in my HD box and put it in the sky+ box for a minute but after a day it drops all the channels again. I also have my old sky box but it holds onto the FTA channels although it does drop our local regional channels and replaces them with BBC1 London etc.
Does anyone know if the sky+ box is working correctly or do they all do this therefore forcing you to cough up £20 for a card:mad:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom