• Apologies for the inconvenience, but AVForums will be offline from 6am Thursday 21st January 2021 for a few hours while we perform a major update to our core software. See what changes are coming.

Using Sky via tvlink and freeview - how do you switch between the two sources?

dickst3

Novice Member
Hi,

We have sky in our bedroom via the tvlink and we have now bought a new set with freeview. Question is both sources share the rf input and as there is only one how do you connect/switch between the two?

A saleman in JL said I'll have to unplug/plug in each time we want to switch sources :(

any advice appreciated! :)

JayCee

Distinguished Member
dickst3 said:
Hi,

We have sky in our bedroom via the tvlink and we have now bought a new set with freeview. Question is both sources share the rf input and as there is only one how do you connect/switch between the two?

A saleman in JL said I'll have to unplug/plug in each time we want to switch sources :(

any advice appreciated! :)
If the aerial that supplies the Freeview signal is plugged in to the RF in on the Sky box its output will come through the cable supplying the TVLink.
If the aerial supplying the Freeview signal is nowhere near the Sky box you can connect it and the TVLink cable via a 2 in 1 out splitter.

dickst3

Novice Member
Hi

This is not our main TV.

The aerial is not near the sky box so the splitter sounds like the only option. But if sky is "on" downstairs how do you "ignore" the sky signal coming into the bedroom?

I think i just answered my own question. You obviously have a specific ch for sky in the bedroom and other channels for freeview? So both Sky cable and aerial are plugged in at the same time. Doh! It sounds like it was a stupid question now! :rolleyes:

Thanks.

dannyg81

Novice Member
Is the freeview built into the new set? If so, you should have a button on your remote that says DTV (or something similar) which obviously switches to the freeview channels, it's like having an external freeview box and having to switch to AV1 to view it. Your Sky TV Link typical gets tuned into channel 6 (as it's the next available channel in the RF range).

As you say, a splitter is the best bet.... as you'll never be watcing the 2 at the same time.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
dickst3 said:
I think i just answered my own question. You obviously have a specific ch for sky in the bedroom and other channels for freeview? So both Sky cable and aerial are plugged in at the same time. Doh! It sounds like it was a stupid question now! :rolleyes:

Thanks.
Don't worry :cool:
Glad you got there in the end.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom