Using sky multi room in different location

jamie292

Standard Member
Hi

I would appreciate it if you could pls try and answer my question.

I have a second home in london but my primary address is in manchester. I have sky with sky sports in manchester. If I was to order a sky multiroom box and card for this address but use it in my second home in london would I get all the channels I get in my primary home in manchester.

Thank You

Davey H

You can't have/use Sky multi-room for different addresses.

You would have to take out a another/seperate subscription at a second address.

fernandez

Distinguished Member

Multiroom subscription: Provides the same Sky TV channels as your main Sky TV subscription on a box in another room. You must subscribe to Sky TV throughout and an extra box is required for each Multiroom subscription. Each box you have must be connected to the same fixed telephone line at all times.

Sky do check and if they find that both boxes aren't connected they will (after a couple of warnings) charge two subscriptions.
There have been cases where those trying this have been refused further multiroom subscriptions.

pcbbc

I have a second home in London but my primary address is in Manchester. I have sky with sky sports in Manchester. If I was to order a sky multiroom box and card for this address but use it in my second home in London would I get all the channels I get in my primary home in Manchester.
Technically, yes - for a while.

However to elaborate a little on the previous answer (which is basically correct in the long term) - The terms and conditions of Sky multiroom require that the boxes are permanently connected to the same telephone line. Sky then randomly instruct the boxes to call them via the modem and they monitor the caller ID of the telephone line they are being called on by each box.

If any of the boxes on a multiroom account either a) fail to make the callback or b) callback from the wrong address, Sky will send you warning letters. If you fail to comply with these (by reconnecting the boxes or returning them to the correct address) then they will start charging you double your subscription (instead of £10 pcm for multiroom) via DD until you comply.

It is possible (although technically against the T&Cs) to move multiroom cards and boxes to another address for short periods of time - just don't connect them to a telephone. However if this is done regularly or for any length of time, the boxes will start missing callbacks and Sky will start sending letters. So it can not be used as a permanent solution (otherwise everyone would be doing it and you'd see friends and family and people down the pub illegally selling their full subscription multiroom Sky cards for £20 pcm) but can be useful in certain circumstances (e.g. temporary use in a holiday home or caravan) since the card will return to the home address before Sky notice it goes missing.

Edit: Assuming you have unlimited internet at both locations, look at something like a slingbox. You will need good upstream speed at the location the Sky box is at (suggest above 1Mb - so cable or ADSL Annex-M recommended). I have one and it serves the regularly away from home on work problem very well.

Last edited:

jamie292

Standard Member
Hi

Thanks for all the replies.

I currently have a slingbox but can only get the speed to around 350 max and never more. Who would you recommend as the isp provider for the sky box location taking into consideration the best upload speeds available. At the moment I have bt total broadband option 3.

StevePn

Hi
If you use the multi room in London, just go into the menu for new installation and do a update very couple of weeks, but do it from Manchester.
That way it will show to them that its conected as per terms and conditions.
Steve

jamie292

Standard Member
Hi

Where abouts is this update which you mentioned in your post. Also how often are we talking like once a month or...?

Thanks

Magpie252

Standard Member
Is the phone line restriction just to cover the subsidy from buying new equipment from Sky?

If I buy a second-hand or full price receiver do I still need to have a phone line connected.

I'm working in Germany Monday - Friday for the next year, so English TV would be good, but I don't want to move my HD box each week.

Broadz

Distinguished Member
Is the phone line restriction just to cover the subsidy from buying new equipment from Sky?

If I buy a second-hand or full price receiver do I still need to have a phone line connected.

I'm working in Germany Monday - Friday for the next year, so English TV would be good, but I don't want to move my HD box each week.

If you want multiroom then both boxes must be connected to the same phoneline - so that when the boxes are requested to callback, Sky can see that the boxes are housed in the same building. If you don't want multiroom (i.e. "I have houses in both Germany and England") and you want to watch Sky in both locations - take out a second subscription. And don't bother connecting either of them to a phoneline if you don't want.

Tomo

But if you have ID blocking how do they know that the box is at the same location?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom