Using sharp 26" lcd tv as monitor

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by Tigger3, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Tigger3

Tigger3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all hope someone can help me. I haver recently upgraded my PC base unit to a HP with an NVIDIA GeForce9300GE graphics card. I have connected the PC to the TV via HDMI and set the resolution to 1024 x 768. If I try to change the screen resolution the screen goes black and more blurred.The PC runs great and the desktop looks fine but when I am on the internet the image is not sharp and is slightly blurred. Would it improve if i changed the HDMI cable to a DVI cable? I really do not want to invest in a new monitor as I would need to buy speakers and a TV card any advise would be welcome.

2. insomniak123

insomniak123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +370
    chances are your TV is giving your nVidia card the wrong EDID info - this is what tells the graphics card what resolutions it supports

your screen given its size will probably have a native res of 1366x768 - good luck getting your nVidia to send that to the TV, if it does you'll be one in a million.

Best bet is to get yourself an ATi card which gives you the freedom to display whatever res you want :smashin:

No, it doesn't matter what cable you use. HDMI and DVI are identical (apart from the obviously lack of sound thru DVI)

3. Tigger3

Tigger3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for this response I presume that if I purchased a stand alone monitor with HDMI input things would improve

4. insomniak123

insomniak123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +370
    yep it should do, monitors are designed to understand the pixel layout and whatnot, whereas TV manufacturers (it appears) just stick the EDID info in at the last minute and don't really understand the importance of it.

A dedicated monitor should sort it out :smashin: