Using SD slot on the Panasonic TH37PE30

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by Typical Janner, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Typical Janner

Typical Janner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought a Panasonic TH37PE30 for my mother, and now want to send her an SD card full of family photos to display on it. However, I left the user manual with her, and haven't been able to find a copy anywhere online.

So, could somebody please tell me the optimal settings for displaying photos on this TV. Should the photos be in a specific resolution? Anything else that Panasonic state in the manual for using the SD slot?

2. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I think the TV scales the images to fill the screen. I've used a Sandisk 512MB SD card from my Nikon Coolpix 5200 and the images come out fine. The images were at full res. at 5MP (2592x1944).

The best bit is that the TV automatically switches to picture viewing mode when you insert the SD card, so I didn't have to press the relevant button on the remote at all. So long as the pictures are in the standard folders/directories on the card the TV should find them with no problems.

S.

3. Typical Janner

Typical Janner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.

I hadn't considered the directory structure ... doh!

Do all the photos have to be in the root directory, or does it support folders?

4. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Just gone to the manual to read up on what is said...

Displayable image formats: Baseline JPEG 64x64 to 8192x8192 pixels, sub sampling 4:2:2 or 4:2:0.

Displayable number of folders: Max 100

- only EXIF standard JPEG images supported
    - cannot support over 3000 JPEG files
    - cards must be formatted with FAT12 or FAT16
    - screensaver cuts in after 5mins unless you're using slideshow mode

Oops, the next bit shows that I should read the manual :oops: :blush: :rolleyes:

If using the PC adaptor card the TV should be switched off before inserting the card. Looks like leaving the TV on when inserting the SD card is okay, phew! :lesson:

Digital cameras that are compliant with DCF specs use folders with a specific structure.

Root
    |
    +-DCIM
    ......|
    ......|+-100_PANA
    ......|
    ......|+-101_PANA

So long as your jpegs are in those sub folders the TV should see them. E.g. my images were in a folder called 100_NIKON.

Other points to note:

The SD slot actually accepts SD cards, MMC and mini SD(with mini SD adapter)

The PC Card slot will accept CF, SM, Memory Stick, xD and Flash ATA with appropriate adapter.

If the JPEG is modified using a PC it will not be displayed on the TV
    :confused: I think this just means that the image files have to be in a compliant directory structure and have names in the form of "ABCD0001.jpg" i.e. four arbitrary characters followed by 4 digit file number.

The manual will be available online at some point it just takes time for them to be posted on the Panny UK site. There are manuals for the TH37PA20 and TH37PWD5 screens. I'm not sure if the PA20 shipped with a SD card slot.

Hope this helps.

S.

5. Typical Janner

Typical Janner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's great ... thanks for the time and effort :)

It does look like it will be a little more involved than simply copy/pasting files from our image archive :lesson: