1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Samsung 32R41B as a TV

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by tdenson, Jul 23, 2005.

Tags:
  1. tdenson

tdenson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I have read a large number of the messages in the main thread re this set, but the vast majority seem to be about using it for playing games. Surprising as it may seem what I want one of these for is watching TV :) Does it do this job well ?

Tony

2. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    I have the 32" Freeview version of this set. it is mainly used for Sky / Freeview watching but is also used with a USA Gamecube, Xbox (Modded) & a Shuttle PC. Here are my thoughts on picture quality (Sound is pretty good on all sources) :

Component - Beautiful ! 480i / 480P is good but 720P is incredible !

PC - Wow, the clearest VGA Picture I have ever seen. Hi def clips have to be seen to believed !

RGB Scart - Awful with Sky, PS2, anything !

Composite Scart - Worse than above !

S-Video - Excellent, I watch my Sky+ Box though this input & it is 90% as good as my previous 32" Thomson CRT (I do use a quality lead).

HDMI - Not tested yet (hurry up Sky) !

Summary

You get out what you put in, this set will show up poor equipment / low end signals much quicker than an old CRT !

Hope this helps !

3. cpt1979

cpt1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    This is very useful, and aligns with my thoughts.

Why is it that Scart is so useless on this set? I spent over £100 on scart cables all of which appear to be blurry.

4. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    I don't know why the implementation of RGB over SCART is the way it is. The colours are just so misaligned and it looks bad...maybe if it was a HUGE problem for people they could use an expensive RGB->Component adapter and see if that got better results?

It also baffles me how analog RGB over the D-SUB/VGA connector looks astounding yet over SCART it's not very good, I always thought that these two weren't all that far apart?

5. Random Hajile

Random Hajile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I`m gonna disagree and think the RGB is excellent. I`ve hooked it upto my cube and dvd player and can`t see much wrong with it. I`m using the 26 inch version so the faults might not be as apperent, but from a normal viewing distance it`s fine. The reason why it might be blurry is cause of it have to deinterlace the picture as i`ve found this on some cube games like fzero which runs at a very fast rate. But comparing component vs rgb on my dvd player their ain`t much in it except the component progressive signal being darker but a little less blurry.

6. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    It's possible they could have fixed it for the 26" versions - I was in Curry's today and RGB feed from a DVD player looked almost as good as RGB over Scart should. It might only be the 32s...

7. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Again, I've got the 32" and RGB SCART is a huge step over s-video on my television. I'm sure that there must be a couple of bad sets going around. (ones that tear in progressive, for example)

While I don't have Sky, I have a Sony Freeview box hooked up to it, and it looks as good as you can expect from a lower bitrate signal.

The high bitrate channels / programmes look fantastic on it though. It's just a shame that so many now use excessive "edge enhancement" which will make it look bad on anything.

8. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    Andrew, tell me about it... I was in Powerhouse today at the Braehead shopping mall in Glasgow. They had an imported Japanese Panasonic Hi-Vision Cable PVR and had it hooked up to a Panasonic Viera Plasma. The picture was out of this world, people were crowding round it and couldn't take their eyes off it. Then they had the LCDs in the room being fed wiht some low bit-rate music channel from Sky Digital.

After seeing the HDTV stuff it was literally *unwatchable*. Even on the CRTs, it looked worse than some web downloads - due in part to the excessive edge enhancement and horribly low bit rate.

DTV providers should tighten up their act and fix the terrible picture quality. They need to make sure that high resolution pictures aren't spoiled by this.

9. tdenson

tdenson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I have ordered the 32", but the non Freeview version. The extra £200 didn't seem worth it, but I was beginning to get a bit worried reading about problems with Scart input. Are you happy that your external Freeview connection is just about as good as one would get with it built in ?

Tony

10. ViolentReaction

ViolentReaction

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Im going to be running and NTL set top box into the 32 inch model, so reading abut this does not look too good!!!

Any ideas on improving the quality? I have the silver Samsung box...

11. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    The only idea I can think of is to buy an expensive RGB to Component converter and feed the signal into the Component input of the TV. That's expensive though - would you really want to spend 100+ pounds on the converter just to improve the quality of overcompressed, blocky Digital TV broadcasts?

Or, does the Samsung box have an S-Video output, or in the menus can you choose S-Video or Y/C signal output type?

This is all if you get one that doesn't handle RGB well that is. From what people are saying it sounds like they might have fixed it.

12. ViolentReaction

ViolentReaction

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Cheers Lyris.

In the menu you can change between RGB and Composite. As and when I get the set (ordered from Empiredirect) I'll do some testing and let you know how it goes.

Out of interest, I have two high quality QED leads for my Pioneer DVD system. One is Component (I think!! little yellow one?) to SCART, and another S-Video to SCART - would the composite give the better picture?

I dont really want to fork out for new leads.

edit : sound it not a problem, its an integrated 5.1 DVD system, so I only need the picture to the TV