Question Using same subwoofer for music amp and a/v receiver?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by EarToday, Oct 20, 2017.

1. EarToday

EarToday
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Just moved house and finally getting my 5.1 system set up again (no room for 7.1 despite having the speakers and receiver!)

I have a Yamaha RX-V673 receiver for the 5.1 system. I also have an amp for my hifi (Pioneer A400).

I'd rather not use two subwoofers, although I have them. Both are rubbish - an old Gale Storm 10 and a Canton 60CX from a rarely used system from the past.

What are my options for connecting one subwoofer to both amps without problems. Only one device will be used at once, but I can't discount the risk of someone turning both on at once by mistake.

Can I do anything with either of the subs I have now? Would any other (better) sub cope ok by default? I know virtually nothing about subs as I never liked them for music - until I tried them - and just reluctantly had one for 5.1/7.1 in the past.

Thanks!

2. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,707
    I wouldn't try it with Passive Subs but should be fine using an Active Sub - simple phone Y-Splitter cable into the Sub input should do the job... (Puts on Asbestos Underpants and waits for the Gurus' to Roast Me...)