Using same Gamertag on two XB360s (Elite + Premium)

Tarbat

Prominent Member
Reaction score
So, my Elite has arrived :thumbsup:

We've got the Elite in the living room, and our white premium in the kitchen. Then the wife can play on one and me on the other, or visa versa, or sometimes we'll both play on the same machine.

Now the problem. I recovered my gamertag (Tarbat) onto the Elite. Works great. Log out, and turn the Elite off. On the premium, if I try to use my Gamertag, I get an error:
"Your XBox Live membership information is not valid. Please use a profile that contains a valid membership or recover you profile from XBox Live."

So, I recover my gamertag onto the premium, and it works great. Log out, and turn the premium off.

Now, go back to Elite, use my Gamertag, and get the same error. If I recover the Gamertag onto the Elite, then again I can't use it on the Premium.

Same happens with my wife's Gamertag (Tarcat).

How can I use my Gamertag on both machines (not at the same time)? Or will we both have to go through the recovery process everytime we use our gamertags?

your gamertag is only valid in one place, as soon as you recover it, it invalidates the old one

just buy a memory card and store it on there, thats what i did, otherwise you will have to keep recovering it back and forth.

Sorry Edds, can you explain how that works? How do you store a gamertag on a memory carde :confused: (wondering as I've been thinking of getting a second X-Box....)

the memory card is just a storage device, same as the hard drive.

its pretty easy to move it over (as you don't have a Xbox this prob wont help, but it shows its easy) all you have to do is go to the memory management in the dashboard and then go to gamer profiles then in there is your profile/GamerTag which you can move to a memory card if inserted.

the GamerTag will work exactly the same way it does when on a memory card as it would on the hard drive.

Why dont you just swap over hard drives whne you use a different machine? Its what I do when i have to use the box upstairs.

your gamertag is only valid in one place, as soon as you recover it, it invalidates the old one
Damn. Answer I got from Moogle in this post was that I could use our Gamertags on both machines, but not at the same time. Didn't mention I'd have to buy a memory card.

just buy a memory card and store it on there, thats what i did, otherwise you will have to keep recovering it back and forth.
So, will we need to buy 2 memory cards, so the wife can use one XB360 while I'm using another, etc. And is a 64mb memory card big enough?

Damn. Answer I got from Moogle in this post was that I could use our Gamertags on both machines, but not at the same time. Didn't mention I'd have to buy a memory card.

the original xbox used to work that way, you could have a gamertag on multiple machines but not be signed in at the same time obviously, but they changed that on the 360.

So, will we need to buy 2 memory cards, so the wife can use one XB360 while I'm using another, etc. And is a 64mb memory card big enough?

a 64mb card is plenty big enough. you will only need one as you can very quickly (as in takes 5 seconds) move your account from a memory card to a hard drive.

EDIT: can't you just leave your wifes one on the premium and leave yours on the elite?
if your only moving one account between Xboxs you will be able to leave it on the memory card though.

a 64mb card is plenty big enough. you will only need one as you can very quickly (as in takes 5 seconds) move your account from a memory card to a hard drive.

if your only moving one account you will be able to leave it on the memory card though.
Many thanks for your help EDDS.

Not sure my wife will understand having to move her Gamertag from HDD to memory card everytime, particularly if that means going to the Elite to copy it before going onto the Premium, etc....

So, I think I'll have to get 2 memory cards, put Tarbat on one, put Tarcat on the other, and make sure the wife always puts her memory card into whichever XB360 she's going to use. Have I got that right?

So, I think I'll have to get 2 memory cards, put Tarbat on one, put Tarcat on the other, and make sure the wife always puts her memory card into whichever XB360 she's going to use. Have I got that right?

thats perfect if your looking for the easiest simplest way of doing it.

i dont think you understand the needs of the poster.

This is how i've interpreted it, he has two machines and he wants to know how he can have his gamertag on both machines (i.e both hard drives) which you can't as it is only one individual gamertag on live (i.e only one of a kind gamertag) the only way top get around this is to swap hard drives (easiest solution).
It is impossible to have two of the same gamertag, otherwise I could just have the same gamertag as you :suicide: Xbox live doesn't read it as being 'hey this guy has two hard drives they are both his and he wants his gamertag on both' it just reads it as gamertag x already exists when and if you try and create gamertag x again, or if you recover it, it reads it as gamertag x goes from hard drive a to hard drive b.
I would just have both gamertags on the hard drive as normal, and just swap hard drives over, or if they play seperately, then you would have mr's gamertag on hard drive 1 and mrs' gamertag on hard drive 2 and and they take their respective hard drives to the xbox they play so e.g mr wants to play upsatirs he takes his hard drive upstairs, and vice versa. If they want both their gamertags on both hard drives at the same time, then they are trying to do somethign which isn't possible.

The only thing you are acheiveing by the memory card route is that you get to keep the hard drives on the 360's. What is so hard about unclipping the hard drive and swapping them over :confused:

Dude, Tarbat.

Why don't you just keep your Gamertag on your Elite HDD and your wife keep her tag on the Premium HDD. Then just swap the HDDs whenever you want to play with whatever one.

The reason you can only use the Gamertag on one location at a time is for the achievments system.

That's what i thought, I think some people on here are overcomplicating a simple thing :suicide:
I'm looking for the simplest solution. Can you please explain how swapping HDDs around will let us both play games on either XBox, and play 2 player games against each other on either XBox, without having to keep recovering our gamertags.

Dude, Tarbat.

Why don't you just keep your Gamertag on your Elite HDD and your wife keep her tag on the Premium HDD. Then just swap the HDDs whenever you want to play with whatever one.

But then what do we do when we're playing 2 player games against each other? There are times when the wife is playing on the premium and I'm playing on the Elite, but equally there are other times (more often), when we're playing against each other on the same machine (Elite or Premium) - games like Carcassonne, 3D Mini Golf, etc. Can I have both of our Gamertags on both HDDs for when we're playing 2 player games?

I'm looking for the simplest solution. Can you please explain how swapping HDDs around will let us both play games on either XBox, and play 2 player games against each other on either XBox, without having to keep recovering our gamertags.

But then what do we do when we're playing 2 player games against each other? There are times when the wife is playing on the premium and I'm playing on the Elite, but equally there are other times (more often), when we're playing against each other on the same machine (Elite or Premium) - games like Carcassonne, 3D Mini Golf, etc. Can I have both of our Gamertags on both HDDs for when we're playing 2 player games?

That is what you have to decide, there is only one option, either have both gamertags on one hard drive (which would leave the other hard drive redundant so you could maybe sell) or have one gamer tag on each (which you don't want as you want to play two player with your gamertags.

You could have an offline profile though to play eachother (which you prob don't want for achievements etc)

Maybe then the meory card is your best option so then what you can do is have each of your gamertags on a hard drive each and on a memory card each, so then if you are playing on the xbox with your gamertag on and your wife wants to play with you she can just plug her memory card in and vice versa. Obviously you will need two hard drives and two memory cards where you can just have your profiles stored on respectively.

Maybe then the meory card is your best option so then what you can do is have each of your gamertags on a hard drive each and on a memory card each, so then if you are playing on the xbox with your gamertag on and your wife wants to play with you she can just plug her memory card in and vice versa. Obviously you will need two hard drives and two memory cards where you can just have your profiles stored on respectively.
I was going to remove both our gamertags from both HDDs, and just keep our gamertags on memory cards - Tarbat on one card, and Tarcat on the other card. Will that work? When we're playing 2 player games on one XBox, can we plug both memory cards in and use our gamertags from each memory card?

Sorry to sound thick, but we are both drawing our pension, and want to keep this as simple as possible. Swapping HDDs around would be a pain, and I suspect my wife would give up.

I was going to remove both our gamertags from both HDDs, and just keep our gamertags on memory cards - Tarbat on one card, and Tarcat on the other card. Will that work?

yes that will work perfectly.

I'm simply trying to let the poster know what he needs to do for his situation, "my3rdxbox360" on the other hand is making the op compromise his situation for a less than ideal solution for his needs.

swapping hard drives wont help, end of.

How can I use my Gamertag on both machines (not at the same time)? Or will we both have to go through the recovery process everytime we use our gamertags?

swapping hard drives wont help, end of.

I was answering the question in his original post, so the most straight forward solution would have been to swap hard drives over as you cannot have the same gamertag stored on both hard drives.

The solution to the op's second question was indeed the memory card.

My experience was from using my gamertag on my original Xbox and 360. I wasn't aware the same didn't apply when using two 360's. Sorry about the confusion.

:oops: :suicide:

My experience was from using my gamertag on my original Xbox and 360. I wasn't aware the same didn't apply when using two 360's. Sorry about the confusion.

No problem, at least you tried to answer my query in the first place :smashin:

Anyway, I've order two memory cards, so should be sorted in a few days.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom