1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Rotel RMB-1095 Power amp with a Denon 3802

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Mr Merrick, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Mr Merrick

Mr Merrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I've recently had a conversation with a rep from PMC (Professional Monitor Company) and he's convinced me to upgrade my speakers with the recently unveiled "OB1" floorstanders (The Bristol Show), and the (soon to be built) matching centre speaker. I will also be adding a pair of TB2's for the rear channels.
    These new speakers are 'alot' more power-hungry than my current Mission setup and I need alot more amplification than that of my Denon 3802. This is where the Rotel RMB-1095 comes into play. However, this new venture has skinted me somewhat and I can't afford to get a processor just yet. Has anyone out there used the 3802 as a processor, connected (via the 5 channel pre-outs) to an external power amp before? If so, are the results satisfactory?

Regards

David

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use my Denon3801 for the processing and the Rotel for the amplification, more than happy with it, had a demo a while ago to upgrade to a separate pre-amp, had a listen to a TAG set up, very disappointed, surfice to say I'm sticking with the Denon for now as to me the Denon is no worse/better than the TAG I heard. ;)

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    He must be some salesman if he has convinced you to buy a speaker that not only have you never heard but hasn't actually been built yet.

His talents are wasted flogging loudspeakers ;)

4. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I never knew that floor-standers were double glazed :rotfl:

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Surely the little Yoda rear speakers would have been a better match for the Obi Wan floorstanders.

The new centre speaker is like to be called.....................

6. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like bob007, I too use a 3801 with a RMB-1075 and am very pleased with the results. The Rotel's amplification is so much more dynamic than the denon's.

I am powering M&K S85's with mine. (4 Ohm load)

SMP

7. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Yoda.

The rear speakers are Chew-back-ers, for the channels at the back.:clap: :rotfl:

Linn have the closest Star Wars named speakers, they have an Ekwal and Espek which are breeds of Ewok.

8. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    I used my old AVR3300 with a 1095 and the sound was much improved. But be warned, it can all get very expensive, I have since acquired a Tag AV32R for processing duties.

9. Mr Merrick

Mr Merrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Ian J...

As mentioned, the OB1's were unveiled at the Bristol show, which is where I heard them. After the show on a Saturday I had a long time listening to them with a few of my own CD's. The speakers were amazing, utilizing the midrange and tweeter from the considerably more expensive IB1 loudspeaker and a bass driver from their TLE Subwoofer. Visit them and have a look...

http://www.pmcloudspeaker.com/

I have every confidence that they'll make the centre speaker a perfect match for the fronts, as I've yet to hear a bad speaker from PMC.

The theory behind the speakers names is like this:

BB5: Big Box
    MB2: Medium Box
    IB1: Intermediate Box
    FB1: Floor Box
    LB1: Long Box
    TB2: Tiny Box
    DB1: Dinky Box

Finding it difficult to formulate a name for the OB1 they opted for "Other Box 1"...the Star Wars connection is apparently coincidental, but that remains to be seen if they're released on May 4th :laugh:

The rep even said that a black finish will not be available as it's a little too close to the dark side :rotfl:

10. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Will it be available in 'Stormtrooper White'?

:D

11. Mr Merrick

Mr Merrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    By the way guys, thanks for your advice... I'll be getting the Rotel pretty soon and may be getting an AV32R in the not too distant future. The Tag processor is amazing, but I can't say the same for their 5 Channel amp...not impressed at all...so I opted for the Rotel. Has anyone heard the Chord DSP 9000?! :eek: It's the stuff of dreams...and at £10,000 it should be! Truly amazing running Kef Reference 207's with 205's at the back...the local multiplex has alot to answer for :D

12. Mr Merrick

Mr Merrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Stormtrooper White would be a sight to behold, but would be more fitting on a Wilson Benesch speaker (Model 1138) :zonked: since the PMC's aren't lacquered.

13. Kain

Kain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would also recommend Parasound.

14. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    How much is a Parasound though? The Rotel 1095 is 5x 200W for £1900.

Back to the original question ... the Denon will work fine as a processor. Are you planning to go for 7channel or just 5channel? If 7 channel ... maybe take a look at the 1080 for the front two and then adding either the 1075 or the 1095 later for the rest. Even though the 1075 is only 110w (as opposed to 200w) per channel ... it is capable of providing lots of current which your PMC will want.

Vikki